Instance paths and IFD

2958   3   0
336 posts
I'm running into issues where instancepath attributes are being dropped when IFD files are generated (instancepath works fine locally) and yes, the paths to the instance geometry are correct to network locations using $JOB. I think I'm missing something when it comes to network rendering workflow and instancing, I can see a path to shared temp storage in the IFD files but not the instance attribute path. This has to be something simple, any clues?
336 posts
Ok, it occurred to me after posting that instancepath is called at render from the HIP file, it's not contained in the IFD files. By turning on Save Inline Geometry network rendering seems to work, I'm assuming because the inline geometry is the instancepoints which have the instancepath attribute. This doesn't seem like a very efficient workflow saving out instancepoint geometry at every frame, but I guess I can set up a delayed load procedural before instancing, I'm curious about how folks are going about this
Edited by AndyW - Jan. 5, 2018 14:19:50
387 posts
Chris Rydalch did great ifd video overview:

Longer version is in the manual.

Local ifd storage folder is different from the shared one for remote rendering. Also, check that your farm can translate $JOB variable properly.
336 posts
Very helpful, thanks. Packed prims and material stylesheets looks like a more efficient workflow than using delayed load and material archives
  • Quick Links