How to snap the angle of rotation?

6831   12   2
83 posts
How to snap the angle of rotation? like maya j key……thanks advanced
66 posts
I'd like to know this too, its a really useful function that I often use in Max.
1631 posts
AFAIK, this is not possible at the moment. Let's hope SESI adds the functionality later. For now, the parameter ladder (MMB on the parameter or handle) is your best option.

Cheers!
steven
66 posts
9 years later. Has this feature been added yet? Anyone know? I can't seem to find it if it has been. Would be nice to angle snap with the rotation tool.

Thank you for any info.
897 posts
No such thing. Add an RFE.
B.Henriksson, DICE
1755 posts
If the MMB ladder with its various increments, for any transformation, is not the mother of all snap transformations, I don't know what it is.
Of course it's a bit slower than what you're used in Max (or me in XSI), but it's 10x more powerful. Not trying to dissuade you from filing a RFE, what I'm actually saying is that you should first use the MMB ladder for a short while to feel its power, if you haven't already and found it unsatisfactory.
897 posts
The mmb widget is indeed amazing, one of Houdini's strongest ux elements. But I disagree that it would be a replacement for discrete rotations or any other viewport operation for that matter. The time needed to perform an action is not close to compete plus you loose eye contact with the object, hampering the flow.

It's almost the same reason to why one wants grid snapping for transforms.
B.Henriksson, DICE
1755 posts
Well, I did concede that it's slower in interaction, but you gain back some time otherwise lost in the “classical method” due to the necessity of tweaking the increments you want to use for snapping.
I'd argue however, that this is not the biggest issue with slow to interact things in Houdini's viewport right now, so maybe our priorities need a reordering.

So for example, right now I'm doing a bit of modeling and the fact that I have to tap ‘ for handle detach, X-mouse down for multi-snap enable, snap-move the handle to the point I want to use as a pivot for the transformation, disable snap (again X-mouse down gesture), reattach the handle by again tapping ’ is what I call broken workflow.
In XSI I literally do this in fraction of a second by holding down one (not two) transient key.
Do this for a while and see for how long will “angle snapping” be high on your list of “things to be fixed in viewport workflow ASAP”.
897 posts
Agree in everything you say. On the note on what needs to be fixed first I indeed believe ‘access’ to snapping ,like the hold function you mention or the snap keys physical location, to be a bigger issue than the snap options themselves. But IF they were fixed I think rotation stepping would be useful. Especially for architectural modeling.
Edited by kahuna031 - Jan. 6, 2018 12:16:41
B.Henriksson, DICE
1755 posts
Translate/scale stepping too, not just rotation. Of course. In addition to the MMB ladder, it would make for a killer transformation stepping toolset. Let's now hope there will be a time when to worry about that instead of this other stuff
Edited by anon_user_89151269 - Jan. 6, 2018 12:37:51
897 posts
…and pivot editing to match them.
B.Henriksson, DICE
55 posts
So there is no angle snap? … when you hit P in the Scene view, a Parameters window pops up. There is Translate Step 0.1, Angle Step (which can be changed), and Scale step … what are these for?
Edited by Angel Fucaraccio - March 9, 2019 08:10:35
16 posts
With rotate handle selected, hit P in Scene View, set the angle in Handle Dialogs, and pressing Ctrl while rotating will angle rotate based on that angle.
  • Quick Links