Houdini 16.5+ and alembic errors, unable to work with

4073   16   2
260 posts
I was waiting some time, before someone else notices this, but we got several production builds and this still exist. Its not only my PC, but other PCs in company as well. So i would want to double check with others as we cant use H16.5 due to this error.

So whats going on.

Alembic node, set to default Delayed load, assigning color node - nothing happens in viewport. Sometimes it updates and then there is no way how to get rid of this color. All is updating fine on spreadsheet, just not in viewport. Also shading is pretty messed up, loading wrong geo (visible in wireframe, where pieces are missing edges), black areas, no edges.

If i load the geo as unpacked all goes away. But this is not acceptable for our heavy assets as it makes Houdini super slow (not problem of this build, just houdini in general).
Edited by martinkindl83 - Jan. 3, 2018 18:38:16

Attachments:
01.PNG (338.7 KB)

7737 posts
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/15603/ [www.sidefx.com]

submit a bug, and maybe SideFX can figure out how to fix it.
260 posts
thanks, i know how to log a bug
for now im checking if someone else, besides us in company, has the similar issue.
7737 posts
I have not seen the issue of funky missing geo. To my knowledge, attribute color hasn't been visible in the scene view on packed primitives, ever.
260 posts
thanks for reporting back about missing geo.

unfortunately i have opposite experience (H13 up) about color node assigned to packed alembics.

im not talking about assigning color to geo and then pack, im talking about using color node on packed pieces
7737 posts
martinkindl83
im not talking about assigning color to geo and then pack, im talking about using color node on packed pieces

yes, that's what I meant. I've never seen attribute color applied to packed alembics or other packed geometry visible in the scene viewer.
260 posts
weird
i have never seen it not working, until H16.5
242 posts
One of the builds mid december had a few alembic fixes. Ive also submited some alembic refresh problems and just got a mail it should be fixed in .344

Back in office tomorrow and hopefully everything alembic related just works.
Edited by mawi - Jan. 8, 2018 09:29:54
1755 posts
I've been experiencing the black shading too, with geometry entirely created in H.
edit: In .344 I might add
Edited by anon_user_89151269 - Jan. 8, 2018 10:10:05
260 posts
black/disappearing polygons on packed alembic are still there
still no Cd visible in viewport
555 posts
well to prove jsmack's point, I test with 16.0

01) torus
02) assemble, enable pack
03) color red

does not show color, disable pack will show color

substitute the assemble with copytransform, make 5 copies, pack and instance

same result, will not show color, disable pack will

pretty easy test to repro…no need for any complicated geo…alembic or not….
260 posts
so let me write it again, those issues are not about Packed houdini geo, they are about Packed Alembic.
It works in H13+, but not in H16.5 (choosing point/primitive on color node has no impact)
Edited by martinkindl83 - Jan. 22, 2018 01:43:02

Attachments:
01.PNG (833.4 KB)

555 posts
i can read…

i did test with packed alembic, my point, as jsmack said, ANY packed object NOT JUST ALEMBIC

No, i concede i don't have H13, so i tested the earliest version than 16.5 that i have which is 16.0

I never proved/disproved anything before 16.0
Edited by vusta - Jan. 22, 2018 04:49:15
260 posts
I'm not attacking anyone. Sorry if that sounded offending. I started thread about alembic and people are throwing at me houdini packed geo. I can confirm that packed alembic is showing color in viewport for h13, h14, h15, h15.5,h16.0
Not working in H16.5.
Not mentioning that biggest issue is disapearing geo. Color is problem as well just not as big (but certainly would stop us from using houdini)
7737 posts
Looks like it works on alembic packed primitives if it is a primitive color attribute. It just doesn't update the gpu cache with the color until you reload the alembic. This is probably a bug, and we all know what to do about bugs.
260 posts
Thank you guys. This is what I was after. To get verification it's not just our machines but others have it as well.
Will report both bugs.

I pointed sidefx to this thread previously, but was told it's too much reading.
260 posts
so finally the Color has been fixed.
Now to fix disappearing geo (Side Effects Support Ticket: #57277) and we might try to move to H16.5 for production
  • Quick Links