Trying to teach myself CHOPs

2617   7   3
603 posts

Took me like….4 hours…but it finally clicked.

Not sure if I love it or like it.
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
603 posts
After diving deeper into CHOPs, I really love it. It's so powerful and versatile.

As soon as my new computer system arrives, I'll resume making video tutorials.
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
1755 posts
Good for you man, good for you! I'm very curious to know what exactly have you learned that made you so enthusiastic, so now I too await your new computer to arrive
603 posts
McNistor
Good for you man, good for you! I'm very curious to know what exactly have you learned that made you so enthusiastic, so now I too await your new computer to arrive

I'm quite the Houdini fanMan, so it doesnt take much to get me hyped about it. CHOPs has always been, at least for me, the Dark Side of Houdini, like, no one talks about it, you dont see much enhancements/bug fixes for it, and zero to none Tutorial Content for CHOPs - so I was curious what it was and how I could use it to do Animation (since I've never really done any Animation in Houdini before).

Well, from that Animation perspective, CHOPs is like, a Parameter Data Factory - it can receive data from anywhere in Houdini, and it can produce data to anywhere in Houdini. So you can drive any parameter on any Operator with CHOP data - the sweet spot for me is driving the TRS (translate/rotate/scale) with CHOPs.
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
483 posts
Maybe you can have a look at this file.
Do you know a way how to avoid the rename nodes in the chop net?

Any help is welcome :-)

Attachments:
Flower_04.hip (279.8 KB)

English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
402 posts
@Daryl Dunlap, great to hear you're getting your feet wet with CHOPs Look forward to seeing some goodies!

@matthias_k, had a quick look at your scene, and had a little go at cleaning up the chopnet. This idea did involve changing some stuff in sops too in order to track the frame at which the triggering occurred… see what you think, it may give you some ideas.

Attachments:
Flower_04_idea.hip (328.8 KB)

Henry Dean
603 posts
I cant look at your file right now….but the channel names should be the least of your issues…..Houdini offers alot of different ways of consuming CHOP data:

Export Flag from CHOPs will send the Channel data to whatever Node is specified and override matching parameters
The ch() expression/VEX function allows you to pull the Channel data at the current time or a specified time
The Channel OP allows you to pull the specified CHOP Channel data and remap the Channel name to a different name
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
483 posts
@friedasparagus

what the hack: Deepest respect and many thanks :-)
eyeopener to use wrangles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gc4QTqslN4 [www.youtube.com]

Because, if I'm right, we explore the dark side… with fun

@Daryl Dunlap
My problem was to find a procedural way to address names
and: many thanks for opening the door to the dark side :-)

Look forward to seeing some goodies!
+1
English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
  • Quick Links