My questions on Houdini

9201   40   3
57 posts
Question 1: how to set the sizes of models? (See for example) So that for example the cube was 1x1x1 cm and not as it is by default unknown in what sizes.
Question 2 on the stage there are 2 objects sphere and torus, how to export them to keep the position and rotation coordinates? This my Screen.
Question 3 how to export a few objects in obj?
Question 4 when you press Tab there is an export section but the geometry is not exported to the file. How to use it correctly?

Attachments:
11q.jpg (667.3 KB)

171 posts
Hi, again.
Won't be able to answer all your questions, but let me to guess:
1. By the default in Houdini - measurements of length - meters, of mass - kilograms. You can find it in Edit > Preferences > Hip File Options. So any object you create - e.g. your sphere - if you'll dive inside (double click or i key) - has radius 1x1x1 (m). You can change these default values in Hip File Options to whatever you want, but be careful about it - it will influence physically based simulations.
Probably 2. and 3. It seems to me, the better idea is to change Translate/ Rotate/ Scale etc. at the Geometry level (written at the right top corner of your Network) with the Transform node. Can't check it, but try exporting few objects - playing with Merge nodes.
4. And where all see export in the Tab Menu. O_O I thought that RMB > Save Geometry is enough.
Sorry if I didn't understand something correctly.
Probably someone will be able to clear up misunderstandins.
Edited by RyuKu - Jan. 9, 2018 16:41:08
57 posts
Ryu Ku
Hi, again.
Won't be able to answer all your questions, but let me to guess:
1. By the default in Houdini - measurements of length - meters, of mass - kilograms. You can find it in Edit > Preferences > Hip File Options. So any object you create - e.g. your sphere - if you'll dive inside (double click or i key) - has radius 1x1x1 (m). You can change these default values in Hip File Options to whatever you want, but be careful about it - it will influence physically based simulations.
Probably 2. and 3. It seems to me, the better idea is to change Translate/ Rotate/ Scale etc. at the Geometry level (written at the right top corner of your Network) with the Transform node. Can't check it, but try exporting few objects - playing with Merge nodes.
4. And where all see export in the Tab Menu. O_O I thought that RMB > Save Geometry is enough.
Sorry if I didn't understand something correctly.
Probably someone will be able to clear up misunderstandins.
This export in Tab.
Edited by Ghostil - Jan. 9, 2018 17:19:55

Attachments:
1q.jpg (620.2 KB)

57 posts
In Blender unit 0.01 = 1 cm.

Attachments:
111.jpg (440.8 KB)

57 posts
Do I have to resize my settings every time? After the exit, they are reset to 1 m.

Attachments:
111.jpg (440.8 KB)

57 posts
All the same, the position 0 0 0 leaves after export.

Attachments:
111qqq1.jpg (422.7 KB)

171 posts
This export in Tab.
Basically it creates the Geometry node called at the Scene level “file1”. Inside you'll find Surface Operator node called “file_xx” (looks like yellow folder). This is the same node we delete (as you usually see or will see in different tutorials) inside of the default “geo1” node (Scene level) before creating instead of the deleted - e.g. object node for modeling. The File Sop node that looks like yellow folder allows you to e.g. import as were talked about it .obj file > in the Parameters pane > Geometry File field > use Open Floating File Chooser - the next icon to the drop down menu icon.
Also “If its input is connected, you can choose a File Mode to control how the node reads, writes, or caches geometry on disk. If no input is connected, you can specify a geometry file to read in from disk and send through the node’s output.”
In Blender unit 0.01 = 1 cm.
Have only Houdini installed, but if you want to have your soldier imported into Houdini and have him human sized, I can suggest to create something like reference (e.g. box), to adjust its height to about for example 2 Houdini Default Units in Y and to resize then your character to the approximately same height. It will be more convenient - if to Ghost Other Objects (icon under the Viewport for Control visibility - looks like tiny sphere, tube and cone with drop down menu).
Do I have to resize my settings every time? After the exit, they are reset to 1 m.
As far as I know if you press Accept (not only Apply) - your settings will be saved as the default for this .hip file. Try to save your scene with new options and reopen Houdini. New default units should be in place.
All the same, the position 0 0 0 leaves after export.
You'll need to check it, cause I have only Houdini installed, and he reexports geometry to himself with changed values of e.g. Translate and not at the origin of the scene, but probably it's about finishing modeling chain of nodes with the null node, so it's usually treated as the good habit in modeling, and to export it out. Or maybe it's somehow connected with RMB > Make Current Value Default on a parameter you want not be changed of the last node for exporting, or with Lock Parameter.
Will wait if someone will answer this question/ these questions too.
Edited by RyuKu - Jan. 9, 2018 20:23:33
57 posts
Dimensions in the settings do not affect the scale is not how. Even if I put a size of 1 km then the size of the cube 1 will not be 1 km into the blender. 1 this 1 unit is similar in the program for example if 1 unit 1 cm in the blender then the model will be 1 cm.

Attachments:
1111.jpg (590.0 KB)
11111.jpg (404.1 KB)

57 posts
This node job for export my geometry (Level Geometry no Scene).
Edited by Ghostil - Jan. 10, 2018 14:32:59

Attachments:
111111.jpg (665.5 KB)

57 posts
This helps maintain the position of the geometry in the export. Is there another option more simple?

Attachments:
1111111.jpg (674.5 KB)
11111111.jpg (423.0 KB)

Staff
3455 posts
Houdini's scale is just for Houdini - it has nothing to do with other applications…
inside Houdini the default unit size is 1 Unit = 1 meter
if you model something in Houdini that is 5 Units and then export it to another application it will be imported according to that other application's interpretation of what 1 Unit should be - for example in Maya (default Unit size of 1 Unit = 1 Centimeter) the object will be 5 cm.
If you want to make something in Houdini and them send it to another application then just make a note that you will have to scale - either scale just before you export, or scale just after you import.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
57 posts
arctor
Houdini's scale is just for Houdini - it has nothing to do with other applications…
inside Houdini the default unit size is 1 Unit = 1 meter
if you model something in Houdini that is 5 Units and then export it to another application it will be imported according to that other application's interpretation of what 1 Unit should be - for example in Maya (default Unit size of 1 Unit = 1 Centimeter) the object will be 5 cm.
If you want to make something in Houdini and them send it to another application then just make a note that you will have to scale - either scale just before you export, or scale just after you import.
And there is. With the size figured out. What then my work here reminds me of Mai only there are a lot of nodes. With export a little mastered. Now I will study how to assign a texture to an object and how to edit a scan. Of all the programs that have seen so far the most convenient in the 3d max is the scan. Let's see how it will be here on the example of the same cube. I always try first with something simple and then complicated.
I hope the texture coordinates in obj are transferred?
57 posts
While figuring out the sections of standard materials and how to assign them to geometry.
You need to create your materials in the materials section Go -> Material.
What nodes are needed to create a simple material and to attach texture to it? In 3d the max is a standard material and the image node clings to it( BitMap -> Standart Material) in SME Mode.
171 posts
Hello, Ghostil,
Somewhy it's me again, if you're not tired yet of my answers. Just was here right now and don't pursuit you.

If I understand your question correctly:

1. You can drag-drop one of the pre-built materials from the Material Palette to the Material Context (/mat) e.g. first in the list - Principled Shader (castle icon) (see Attachment).
Then add under node you want assign material to or e.g. before last null node Material node. It has icon looks like tiger-coloured box. There in the Material field > click Open floating operator chooser > in opened window press on the “+” near mat (plus will appear after you'll add material in the Material Palette). Select your material and route to selected will appear in the Material field in the Parameters.

or

2. You can create Material Network (using the Tab Menu) at the Scene level or for a particular object at the Geometry level. Give it a name (e.g. myName_MatNet). Go to the Material Palette. There under /mat you will notice one more clickable area with route e.g. /obj/myName_MatNet - this is how you can access previously created Material Network.
Return to Material Network node itself you've created before. Dive inside > Tab > Principled Shader (or Classic Shader). Adjust parameters you wish in the Parameter pane. Principled Shader is loved by many cause it allows to (rather quickly) achieve results you might want.

3. In the Material node - at the left side of Group field there “+” and “x” buttons. They allow you to add/ to remove materials within the same node (if you want to have several materials applied).

4. You can use the Color node for something simple.

Explore.
Edited by RyuKu - Jan. 11, 2018 07:52:54

Attachments:
Mat_Palette.jpg (74.7 KB)

57 posts
Ryu Ku
Hello, Ghostil,
Somewhy it's me again, if you're not tired yet of my answers. Just was here right now and don't pursuit you.

If I understand your question correctly:

1. You can drag-drop one of the pre-built materials from the Material Palette to the Material Context (/mat) e.g. first in the list - Principled Shader (castle icon) (see Attachment).
Then add under node you want assign material to or e.g. before last null node Material node. It has icon looks like tiger-coloured box. There in the Material field > click Open floating operator chooser > in opened window press on the “+” near mat (plus will appear after you'll add material in the Material Palette). Select your material and route to selected will appear in the Material field in the Parameters.

or

2. You can create Material Network (using the Tab Menu) at the Scene level or for a particular object at the Geometry level. Give it a name (e.g. myName_MatNet). Go to the Material Palette. There under /mat you will notice one more clickable area with route e.g. /obj/myName_MatNet - this is how you can access previously created Material Network.
Return to Material Network node itself you've created before. Dive inside > Tab > Principled Shader (or Classic Shader). Adjust parameters you wish in the Parameter pane. Principled Shader is loved by many cause it allows to (rather quickly) achieve results you might want.

3. In the Material node - at the left side of Group field there “+” and “x” buttons. They allow you to add/ to remove materials within the same node (if you want to have several materials applied).

4. You can use the Color node for something simple.

Explore.
Hi. In the evening I will try to do something and send screenshots.
57 posts
I created the material. pcd texture does not want to work like I do. The blender works and it does not load at all, only in png got up. Now I'm trying to make out how to edit the uv sweep.
171 posts
Hey, Ghostil,
Not sure I understood your last comment is what about… probably .hipnc file posted can help sometimes with some issues.
Let me to suggest you - to create for new questions new threads, with maybe a little bit of more precise names, that is your choise of course and is up to you… but we kinda have private talk here, afraid if someone who can help you will be just lazy to scroll down to here.
And I'm not sure how Google/ other search engines work, but if by titles of the topics, so naming them more closely to what's inside could help at once someone else maybe to find reliable information that is always great. Hope strongly I don't sound as superior giving instructions.
Have a nice day.
57 posts
Ryu Ku
Hey, Ghostil,
Not sure I understood your last comment is what about… probably .hipnc file posted can help sometimes with some issues.
Let me to suggest you - to create for new questions new threads, with maybe a little bit of more precise names, that is your choise of course and is up to you… but we kinda have private talk here, afraid if someone who can help you will be just lazy to scroll down to here.
And I'm not sure how Google/ other search engines work, but if by titles of the topics, so naming them more closely to what's inside could help at once someone else maybe to find reliable information that is always great. Hope strongly I don't sound as superior giving instructions.
Have a nice day.
Ok in the textures I'll create a new topic and try to describe in more detail what I'm trying to get. And so I specifically created a general theme so that for each issue not to create a bunch of topics.
57 posts
Ryu Ku
Hey, Ghostil,
Have a nice day.
Hey. Can I use several versions of the program? I downloaded the previous version of Houdini FX 16.5.268 Old version.
171 posts
Hello,
seems I'll have habit to talk to you - every time looking at the forum see your post above all.
AFAIK you can download another production build https://www.sidefx.com/download/daily-builds/ [www.sidefx.com] that is 16.5.323 now.
As I remember - you will be asked if you want to delete previous version or not.
Or daily build, but maybe some bugs are fixed there - some new maybe appears, hard to say.
Edited by RyuKu - Jan. 14, 2018 10:35:19
  • Quick Links