Auto-Rigging a T-Pose Model

3650   12   1
240 posts
Hello,

My first attempt at using the auto-rig toolset is with a model in a T-Pose. All the preview/tutorial videos I've found so far start with models whose arms are out to the side and most of the way down - almost in perfect alignment with the default auto-rig setup - requiring very little adjustments to shoulders, elbows, wrists, or fingers

After trying to maneuver all the rig pieces from their defaults to their appropriate places in the T-Pose setup and clicking the “Generate Rig” button, things don't work as desired - and are a very far cry from the magical results I've seen in the videos (especially with the hands - those are completely messed up).

Are there any autorig tutorials available that start with a T-Pose, and discuss the ‘gotchas’ one will face when autorigging this sort of setup?

Thanks,
Luke
Staff
3455 posts
I just tried to rig a model that I have here with the Biped preset (Houdini 16.5.3.44) and everything works just fine.
can you attach your mesh?
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
240 posts
Here's the mesh:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/11odz6bo0m5b01g/Human_01.bgeo.sc?dl=0 [www.dropbox.com]

There must be something that I'm doing incorrectly or that I'm missing altogether.

Thanks!
Edited by Luke Letellier - Jan. 5, 2018 17:27:35
Staff
3455 posts
seems to work ok…I just quickly set this up

Attachments:
t_pose.hda (10.5 MB)

Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
240 posts
Wow, that came out a lot better than mine. I must be doing something incorrectly.

Perhaps I'm just not being as particular/exact with joint placement before generating/finalizing the rig? How long did you spend rearranging the joints?

Once thing I noticed when looking at the hands in your rig were that the square finger joint/nulls were all aligned perfectly to the fingers, whereas when I was trying to align them to the hand mesh, it wouldn't let me rotate the squares at all.
Edited by Luke Letellier - Jan. 8, 2018 21:26:54
Staff
3455 posts
I spent about 15 minutes on it…
as for the fingers - the important thing is to keep them in a single plane
you can move the boxes up and down but avoid side to side - see the file

Attachments:
finger_guides.hip (58.0 KB)

Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
240 posts
Thanks for the tips! I'll give it another go.
240 posts
Making progress this time around! Thumbs still need some work, but the other fingers are much better.

Question regarding the legs/knees - is there a way to adjust them so that the knees don't bow outwards or invert when the foot is raised up? My guy will be inside a truck, and I'd like the knees to stay on the same plane as the hips and feet as the latter moves upwards.

Less of this:

More of this:

Thanks again!
Luke
Staff
3455 posts
it's the knee twist - when you bring the feet up you'll have to also raise the knee twist

Attachments:
kneeTwists.png (250.6 KB)

Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
240 posts
Doh! Thanks. Still learning the basics.

Edited by Luke Letellier - Jan. 11, 2018 00:31:57
240 posts
Is there a way to save your pre-baked rig so that after some thorough testing you discover that the resulting rig isn't ideal, you can easily load up the un-baked version, make a small tweak, and then rebake it? And i that doesn't work, load up the un-baked rig again, make another tweak, etc?

Thanks!
Luke
Staff
3455 posts
the Autorigs saves all the setting into the HDA (in the python File>Save, or when you Generate the rig)
now you can do File > New From HDA and select the first rig you made to make a new version based on the first one.
I cover this in the Masterclass: https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/autorigging-masterclass/ [www.sidefx.com]
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
240 posts
Ah, thank you! Will watch that next.
  • Quick Links