Nondestructive workflow similar to Max's modifier stacks in Indie version

2291   5   2
7 posts
Hello there.

I'm looking for a program that allows me a nondestructive workflow akin to what's possible in Max when you use modifier stacks.

Does Houdini allows you to have this workflow for example (all nondestructive):

• Create low-poly base mesh
  • Add some subd modifier to it
  • 'Open' the subd'd mesh without applying the modifier
  • Mark some edges to be used in a subsequent modifier
  • Add say a ‘chamfer’ modifier that works on the edges marked in the previous step

In Blender basically the only step that's not possible is opening a mesh to mark the bevel edges without applying the subd modifier, while in Max that's possible. But I'm looking for something more flexible than Blender anyway, that's just an example of a workflow.

The idea there is to be able to modify the base mesh control points without having to reapply the modifier stack to easily create variations.

Thanks in advance.
Edited by alanqdev - Jan. 22, 2018 09:43:28
69 posts
The node based workflow in Houdini are pretty much nondestructive since each nodes act like a modifier stack.

There is some terminology that differs between Max and Houdini (like Meshsmooth/Turbosmooth is Subdivide in Houdini) but you can search the docs for the appropriate function.

Here is a random demo that I did to showcase the Max modifier style in Houdini.

1. The box node is well the same thing as box primitive in Max although you need to be aware that you can change the type of box aka whether it should be polygon, polygon mesh, etc.
2. On the left branch is a subdivide node (like Meshsmooth/Turbosmooth). Maybe you want to experiment something in between both nodes so I copy the subdivide node and place it to the right.
3. The edit node is basically Edit Mesh/Edit Poly modifier. Make your changes that you want over here like Edit Poly.
4. To chamfer in Houdini, use the polybevel node and select the vertices, edges or faces that you want to chamfer.
5. Connect the subdivide node to the polybevel and tada.

To bypass a node, just click on the left most bar on a node. The right most bar is the node that you want to view the results (something like Show End Results Toggle but only at the node that you selected as only one can be active in a network).
Edited by huey_yeng - Jan. 22, 2018 10:08:01

Attachments:
max_modifierstyle_houdini.PNG (985.1 KB)

7 posts
Thank you for your reply!

So you can add an ‘edit’ node at any given point (between any two nodes) and manually change the mesh there and the changes will propagate through the entire modifier ‘stack’?

Sorry to be asking for more details but I don't see a trial and I'm looking for a program capable of a specific workflow.
Edited by alanqdev - Jan. 22, 2018 10:51:22
Staff
727 posts
alanqdev
Sorry to be asking for more details but I don't see a trial and I'm looking for a program capable of a specific workflow.

You can try the Apprentice version [www.sidefx.com]
69 posts
Houdini Apprentice is what you're looking for non-commercial use! https://www.sidefx.com/download/ [www.sidefx.com]

Yeah the edit node behaves similarly like the Edit Poly modifier in a sense that if you want to paste an Edit Poly modifier onto another object that have the same topology but different surface deformation, it will apply without any issue.

So to answer your question, it will propagate to the next node and there is something that I like about Houdini node-based workflow is that if you frequently wanted to create a node with specific setup, you can save out a preset or even override it to be permanent defaults!

As far as I know there is no way to do it in Max unless you use MaxScript (with the listener on to echo the script line).
7 posts
Thank you very much guys! I didn't realize Apprentice doesn't require you to submit any personal or billing information whatsoever .

Also yes you're correct huey_yeng in that Max really is showing its age, including the linear modifier stack is much less flexible than a node based approach.

Thanks again.
  • Quick Links