How to drive SOP parameter with SOP attribute (point, detail, etc)?

4740   3   0
39 posts
Okay, this has definitely been asked before as I've read a dozen threads on the subject, but apparently I am an idiot because I still do not understand how to extract data from a SOP attribute (point, detail, etc) and use it to drive something at the parameter level.

In my test scene I am creating a point attribute called “myAttrib” via a Wrangle node named “createAttrib” and assigning it a float value of 2. I'm then attempting to use that attribute to drive the Scale Y parameter of a downstream Transform node with the function:

`point("../createAttrib/", 0, "myAttrib", 0)`

I get an error on the transform node:

Unable to evaluate expression (Syntax error(<node name>)

I've also tried it with absolute SOP paths, and in the same test scene I'm trying it with a detail attribute / `detail()` expression, but same error.

So, how do I go about driving a SOP parameter via SOP attribute? I've seen references to using Parameter VOPs to bind outputs but after playing around with that and reading all the manual pages I feel like I am definitely missing something, or maybe misinterpreting this method entirely.

Any help would be appreciated learning the correct method of accomplishing this. Thanks!

Attachments:
driveParm_withAttrib.hipnc (71.8 KB)

475 posts
Hi,

make sure, that the geoemtry path exactly matches the name of the input. I've modifed your file a bit, as you can see in the wrangles there are some overloaded functions of point and detail, which can be called inside VEX.

Attachments:
driveParm_withAttrib_X.hipnc (77.0 KB)

21 posts
Great stuff, thanks for sharing
1 posts
Found this 5 years later. Thanks for ever asking this question, you saved my ass.
  • Quick Links