Flip emission rate

4610   4   1
129 posts
Hello,
I'm experimenting with flip fluids and I want to change the emission rate of the fluid emitter starting with few particles and gradually raising the number.
I wonder what's the correct way to achieve this ? On a post on odforce I read I need to change the “particle separation” in the flipfluidobject (dop), but it doesn't seem to work, setting keyframes on that parameter doesn't change the particles number during the animation.
It seems to work instead using the “particle separation” in the fluid source sop, but I'd like to know if it's the correct parameter to work with. Anyone can help ?
Thank you

Ray
2528 posts
Try animating the Source Scale on the source volume (typically defaults to 1). It is right below the Activation field. So activation can be used as a switch to turn on/off entire fluid input. But the scale can be thought of as a knob where you can turn up and down the flow.

Particle Separation is the quality knob. The lower you set this the more detailed your simulation will be. Set it too low and you can run out of memory or find yourself waiting forever.
Edited by Enivob - Jan. 22, 2018 09:10:40
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
129 posts
Is this the correct parameter ? It doesn't seem to do anything …

Attachments:
Untitled-1.jpg (114.3 KB)

2528 posts
That was the field I was thinking of. I just tried it out and it is the wrong one, sorry. Activation is a float, try that one right above. I was able to animate the particle count down to 0 using Activation.
Edited by Enivob - Jan. 22, 2018 22:52:53
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
129 posts
Thank you, actually you're right, “scale source volume” should work because the documentation says exactly what you suggested …
I tried activation but even it's a float, it just turns the fluid emission on and off.
But I think I solved the problem animating the emitter geometry, scaling it gradually gives the result I want
Thank you

Ray
Edited by madrenderman - Jan. 22, 2018 23:50:17
  • Quick Links