How to approach smoke sims / volumes where you need varying levels of detail?

915   0   0
146 posts
I have a scene with a camera moving in from a wide shot of dry ice across a floor into the source of the dry ice.

I've solved it for now in a kludgy way - I'm fixing it in post (ha!) - two separate sims, one big low-res, one much smaller high-res, and I'm dissolving between them as the camera moves in.

But I'd like to know how this ought to be approached.

To make things extra difficult, I'm using Redshift, so I don't have access to any sexy render-time vol displacement, or 3D noise textures - just density.

My limited understanding of VDBs suggests they'd be great for storing the smoke; less voxels / data for the main coverage, then finer detail for the tight end of the shot. But I'm not sure how you'd approach the actual sim.

Possible option - chop out a chunk of the low-res volume, feed that into a higher-res sim to add some noise / disturbance (?)

What would be the best approach? Any suggestions for googling? Or do you just suck it up and sim everything at the highest res you need (and maybe downres parts of it later to ease rendering times?)
  • Quick Links