point vop requires polygon density: other option?

1470   3   1
1007 posts
Hi!

I'm scattering some vegetations/rocks on a terrain and I'm doing it by using a point vop connected to a scatter, etc.

The problem is that I need a high res mesh to get a nice mask for density. Is there a way that it would not require my terrain to be high res? …is there a way to have the mask defined by more than just the amount of points on my terrain?

Thanks.
146 posts
You can use a texture map instead, if that suits, and use a COP net to generate the mask.

Houdini can handle masses of points, though, so it may be worth just using a high res mesh - plus it lets you add things like the Paint SOP to tweak density after the VOP if you need it.

Alternatively look into the Heightfield tools..? There's an HF Scatter sop precisely for terrain use
474 posts
Hi,

another idea can be subdividing your terrain, distributing your points and project them back to the low res geometry.

Attachments:
distribute.hipnc (130.8 KB)

1007 posts
Thanks howiem and Aizatulin!

For me, using vex is not an option since I know nothing about coding. I've tried it while following tutorial and there was always something breaking and it took me forever to figure what was wrong. But I do appreciate your example.

Cop seams interesting since I would like my material placement (mud, grass, etc) to fit with the scattering of the vegetation and rocks. Two birds, one stone!

For the HFs, I could but I think at some point I'll tweak the terrain so it has caves, etc. …and scatter on that. I think I'll pass on that option.

Thanks for the help. I slightly less of a noob everyday!

-Olivier
  • Quick Links