Redshift, Arnold, Mantra,Octane,Renderman

13650   5   3
27 posts
Hello everyone, i need advice from an expert, can you tell me which rendering soft is good for rendering nice detailed smoke or explosion? Redshift, Arnold, Octane, Renderman or Mantra? Thank you! i liked the speed of Redshift but i couldn't do any extra tweaks in it's volume shader to make material more detailed.
Edited by ferilous - Jan. 22, 2018 20:26:30
483 posts
What do you mean with “more detailed” :-?
Is it possible to share a render with explanation?

To add some render solutions: Clarisse and… (I've not said this: Lightwave 2018 <- :-)
Edited by matthias_k - Feb. 2, 2018 17:36:26
English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
27 posts
in “more detailed” i mean redshift doesn't have noise and displacement in volume shader and mantra does
236 posts
Mantra and its pyro shader offer the most control. The others don't seem to be bothered fixing theirs. Redshift especially, which is a shame considering how fast it is.
I'm not lying, I'm writing fiction with my mouth.
9 posts
Arnold is really good at explosions and smoke. You have to write your simulations to .VBD format, but from there Arnold does a great job of illuminating your explosions without any lighting hacks. The Blackbody data just works.

Arnold also has simple render settings and the ability to add more detail (Volume Displacement) on top of the VBD data.
Edited by JohnDraisey - Feb. 7, 2018 21:49:34
1104 posts
It comes down to what type of things you are going todo, this is my view of the 3 renderers I have used besides Mantra.

Redshift:
- Volumetrics are fast (GPU) but no GI bounces if you are doing fire/explosions you will be dissapointed
- Supports Houdini point / prim attributes
- Has problem with Anistropy on metals

Octane:
- Nice Volumetrics and fast (GPU)
- Poor houdini integration, only hackish work around for Houdini attributes

Arnold:
- Has all features you want, slightly annoying workflow and not as fast as Redshift/Octane but still a lot faster than Mantra, this is the “safe” bet for most things I would say.
/M

Personal Houdini test videos, http://vimeo.com/magnusl3d/ [vimeo.com]
  • Quick Links