FK Control Interface for Houdini (WIP)

4870   5   2
402 posts
Hello!

Just a quick demo of a WIP tool for speeding up FK control creation. Still rough around the edges but we'll get there!

Current immediate TODOs include:
Better interface/handling of hda folders
Toggle for simple, un-referenced ctrl nulls (as opposed to ones attached to bones)
Object naming section for creation of simple ctrl nulls/possible review of current object names

Cheers,
Henry
Henry Dean
3 posts
Thank's that was useful for me. Why don't you use YouTube for the videos?
1743 posts
Konfetka
Why don't you use YouTube for the videos?
Not to speak for friedasparagus (the user above), but many people in the professional visual effects and animation community use Vimeo.

There are a few possible reasons for that, but one objective difference is that Vimeo lets you replace an existing video if there's a problem with it, whereas if you have to remove or change something in a YouTube video, you have to take the whole video down and upload a new one, which means it has a new URL, breaking any previous links to it. That's often a big sticking point for companies or for people dealing with content like demo reels that big media companies might try to file a claim against.

There's also that on Vimeo, it seems less likely for people outside the intended audience to stumble upon a video, which may sound like a down-side, until you read the comment section of any video that appears on YouTube's Trending page. I love YouTube, but it's made some changes in the past few years that strongly encourage terrible behaviour among both viewers/commenters and creators, and YouTube has treated creators pretty terribly, too. It's harder to quantify, because I don't have the numbers, but it's hard to ignore.

If you're wondering “why not get AdSense revenue from YouTube?”, that money is effectively nothing. Some big YouTubers have reported that it amounts to something dismal like 10% of their revenue, despite that they get millions of views, because it's often in the ballpark of $1 per 1000 views, sometimes less than $1.

Either way, some people will cross-post to YouTube, but will recommend that people link to the Vimeo, just in case anything needs to change.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
402 posts
Speak-away-for-me-mad, ndickson Couldn't have put it better.

Glad the tool looks helpful though, Konfetka!
Henry Dean
3 posts
ndickson, OK, I got it.
Staff
121 posts
very handy Henry!
nicely done.
-j
john mariella
Senior Technical Director
SideFX
www.sidefx.com