Path Deform?!

8128   12   1
407 posts
Hi;

In 3dsmax there is a very useful modifier called “Path Deform” that deforms a geometry along a path. I'm looking for something like that in Houdini, but can't find such a thing…

Any idea?

Thanks.
Masoud Saadatmand (MSDVFX)
Staff
3455 posts
something like this?
https://vimeo.com/181458408 [vimeo.com]
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
407 posts
Thank you “arctor”;

Yes this is what I want, but it's too bad because: “SideFX HOUDINI” after releasing 16 version, needs a lot of node to perform a simple “Path Deform” !!!!! …

Thanks.
472 posts
Hi,

it would be nice, if there was such deformer, but you can find already several examples of path deformers in this forum. At least you just need a wrangle to create one. Here is an experiment, I've created a while back. An advantage of the wrangle is, that you can add custom modification fitting your needs (like ramps for twist/scale control etc…) quite fast, if you are familar with vex.

Attachments:
PathWrangle.hipnc (167.0 KB)

407 posts
Hello Aizatulin;

Thank you, but your solution doesn't works with other kind of geometries…
I think working with Houdini as an artist is very harder than other 3d software like C4D, Maya or 3DS Max…
453 posts
There are also several different path deformers on the orbolt asset store.
472 posts
Hi Masoud

what do you mean with other kind of geometries?
I've tested it with Polygon surface / Polygon Path / Nurbs Surface / Nurbs Curve and I haven't figured out any problems. It would be nice if you can post an example. An additional info: make sure that your geometry is x-aligned.

Attachments:
PathWrangleX.hipnc (246.2 KB)

472 posts
Hi Masoud

it would be nice, if you can post an example (where path deform fails), or tell me the problem is already solved etc… . Of course it would be nice, if there was a “build in 1-click” solution like 3ds max / maya / c4d or what ever, but on the other side the modular concept of houdini offers you much more flexibility and control, which make adoptions easier and makes 1-click solutions obsolete. Ok this is my opinion, but it is your decision, if you want accept this trade off.
btw here is an attachement with even more examples …

Attachments:
PathWrangleXRotScaleEx.hipnc (354.5 KB)

655 posts
I am convinced Houdini needs an official path deform tool, it is just way too useful to have one.
948 posts
There is one pretty good in the qLib library.

https://github.com/qLab/qLib [github.com]
https://vimeo.com/user2163076 [vimeo.com]
407 posts
Hi Everyone;

Dear Aiztulin; The flexibility of Houdini is very valuable, but most of time you need a quick and simple solution. For example you can make a geometry like Sphere using VEX and you can add a lot of controls to it, but as you know there is a simple Sphere in Houdini that makes life easier…
As an artist, I need a simple Path-Deform like other 3d packages, and I have not enough programing knowledge to write codes…

Thanks.
Edited by Masoud - Feb. 14, 2018 10:55:27
472 posts
Hi,

I think it is nice to have both and Houdini is well rounded already, even if you don't want to write alot VEX or building your own tools. The path deformer is missing in the build in collection, but after the last years of the incredible evolvement of houdini, I think there is a good chance, that we can see it in one of the next versions.
1 posts
wiredeform sop can do this as you want
  • Quick Links