Flip fluid volume change

2609   2   0
14 posts
Hi everyone! first post here

I've been using the flip solver for a while now but only now I noticed something strange…
On a recent shot I was working on I have a character moving liquid inside a flask, the movement itself is pretty fast and jerky, so I needed to use a pretty high substeps count to make sure the liquid doesn't leak

The strange thing is, it looked like by the end of the animation there were significantly less fluid inside the flask than at the start…
I tried to recreate something similar to upload here, but now the opposite is happening, at the end of the simulation there is more volume to the liquid than the start

Can someone maybe have a look at the scene file? maybe I'm missing something here

Attachments:
flip_volume_test.hip (2.2 MB)
flip_volume_change.mov (14.2 MB)

2534 posts
Check out this link on stopping volume loss in FLIP simulations.
http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki/index.php?title=HoudiniDops#Stopping_volume_loss [www.tokeru.com]
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
14 posts
Thanks for the replay!
What I was experiencing was actually volume gain in FLIP, but lowering the grid scale to 1 solved the problem…

Does a lower grid scale number make the simulation more accurate? is it slower to calculate? Never had to change the default settings so far, but it seems like its a must for smaller scale simulations
  • Quick Links