Redshift in Houdini new forum?

3310   8   1
833 posts
Wondering if there would be any interest in SideFX adding a Redshift for Houdini specific sub-section in the forum. Seems to me like the user base is growing pretty fast and many questions could be better answered here than in the Redshift forums which tend to be more geared toward bug reporting than actual integration in Houdini.

Thoughts?
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
2036 posts
I find the Redshift forum to be very helpfull and the people there knowledgable of matters in addition to ‘bug’ issues.

I've always received quick feedback too.

Not saying your idea isn't good though.
7737 posts
If they didn't add a renderman topic to the houdini forum after 20 years, I doubt they will for Redshift. It's the principle. This is a houdini forum and redshift and renderman are third party renderers. Now, if they added ‘rendering’ topic that covers mantra and any third party renderer with houdini integration, I can see Sidefx maybe getting on board with that.
603 posts
Since you can evaluate 3rd party rendering in Houdini Apprentice now - it may be time for SESI to pull the trigger on a rendering sub-forum.
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
419 posts
I don't think is need it either. You have a RS forum and a Houdini section.
833 posts
sepu
I don't think is need it either. You have a RS forum and a Houdini section.

Well, here's the problem the way I see it:

On the Redshift forums, the Houdini section is for reporting bugs and not necessarily to ask for help with how to do something.

Here on SideFX side of things, there is no forum for 3rd party rendering engines, so where does one post questions about how to do something with Redshift (or Octane, or Arnold)?

As an active member of several forums, I can tell you that people simply don't check sub-forums that don't really interest them, which is a shame since some issues that they could offer a solution for go unanswered.

I can agree that perhaps individual sub-forums for each and every single 3rd party engine might be too much, but how about a combined sub-forum for 3rd party renderers?
>>Kays
2036 posts
On the Redshift forums, the Houdini section is for reporting bugs and not necessarily to ask for help with how to do something.

But you can ask for help in that Houdini section ( even though it's stated for reporting bugs ). And you will get answers - usually quite quickly and usually from someone from Redshift themselves.
Here on SideFX side of things, there is no forum for 3rd party rendering engines, so where does one post questions about how to do something with Redshift (or Octane, or Arnold)?

And you can post your questions here in the “Technical” section.

No one will chastise you because the question is related to Redshift.
Edited by BabaJ - Feb. 20, 2018 13:10:28
833 posts
BabaJ
No one will chastise you because the question is related to Redshift.

Not really about that, simply about getting the right info from the right individuals as soon as possible.

Ultimately SideFX will do whatever they do, but I don't see the harm in expanding the forums with some subsections a bit more. Honestly I'm a bit confused myself as to where to post a certain question where at the moment…even unrelated to Redshift.
>>Kays
2036 posts
I'm a bit confused myself as to where to post a certain question where at the moment…even unrelated to Redshift.

just post to ‘Technical’

Houdini forum user base is somewhat small - which is why, now and in the near future it's not likely to see a new sub catagory.

If no one responds, it has nothing/little to do whether your question had a corresponding forum category.
  • Quick Links