autorig capture issue

27716   27   3
32 posts
I'm working with the new autorig and having trouble getting it to capture the geometry.

Under Rig Geometry Source I have my body Geo selected in the File tab field. Geometry capture is set to Create Capture Network (Tried both Biharmonic and CRegion). When I build the rig, it is built successfully but the Geo is not skinned to the joints.

Am I missing a step?

Thanks,

Jeff
Staff
3455 posts
sounds like you're doing everything right…
what nodes are made in the geo_skin object?
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
32 posts
Hi Michael,

Here are some screen shots of the setup showing geo skin connections made.
Also, when I saved the file, I got a message saying that I might want to use the Operator method for the capture skin.
What's the difference between that and the File method. Assuming Operator needs the model in the obj context.

FYI, tried this on both Win10 and OSX with same result.

thanks,

Jeff
32 posts
here they are

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 8.07.35 AM.png (1.6 MB)
Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 8.15.03 AM.png (439.7 KB)

806 posts
Moin,

two ideas (just brainstorming here):

- you don't have the deform node active (blue bemple on the right to “deform_MacMan_A”, have you tried switching it off and on again?
- you could have a peek at the capture regions, click on “Edit Capture Regions” in the shelf and check if they grab your geometry correctly (just to see if there might be a scaling issue)

Sorry for interrupting, feel free to yell at me …

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
32 posts
a display flag is definitely something I would screw up. Coming from Maya and that's not second nature yet.

That's not the problem in this case though. I can't enable display on that node because permission is denied.

Can't seem to see capture regions either, but probably because I'm just ramping up on Houdini. Tried the Edit Capture Region shelf button but nothing shows in the viewport.

FYI, did a test deforming a simple tube like an arm bend using a couple of bones. The Biharmonic skin works really well. Output an fbx and did a side by side in Maya to see the difference. The Houdini biharmonic skin was much better than the Maya Geodesic Voxel bind out of the box.

…now if I can just get the autorig working.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Jeff
806 posts
Jeff, until Michael walks into his office - could you give me the SCALE of the figure you are trying to capture? I'd quickly try to reproduce your problem here then.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
32 posts
It's about 1.9 units high. I matched my model to the default scale that the fit rig comes in at to make things simple.
I've attached the obj here. It's a really rough body I made in Zbrush to test this out.

Thanks for your help,

Jeff

Attachments:
TestBody_A_small.obj (691.3 KB)

32 posts
SCALE of the figure in my scene is 1.
806 posts
gimme a moment
---
Good bye.
32 posts
ahh.. you did the Not-Wizards Tuts. I just went through those a couple of days ago.
806 posts
Works for me …

I probably did it the same way you did: Set up the rig, placed the controls roughly where they're supposed to be, generated the rig. I *did* switch the rig to “editable” (right click on the rig folder in the network view, allow contents to be edited), because I wanted to layout the content anyway.
Then biharmonic capture with factory default settings and click on “Pose” shelf tool …

Rig attached (15 seconds placement - probably *not* production ready)

Marc

Attachments:
dindada.gif (2.5 MB)
dirtyrig.zip (416.4 KB)

---
Good bye.
Staff
3455 posts
hi
in the first image there is a checkbox called “Display Deform SOP”
this is OFF by default because depending on the resolution of your mesh the biharmonic capture can take some time to cook - and I didn't want people to think Houdini had frozen up or crashed when really it was just taking the time it needed to do the calculations.
so you could do one of two things:
1 - when you start a new rig, turn that checkbox ON, or turn it on before you Generate Rig by going into the settings (the Gear on the asset tab)
2 - after you have Generated the rig, Right Mouse click on the asset and select Allow Editing of Contents, this will allow you to go into the geo_skin object and manually turn on the display flag of the deform SOP - which will cook the capture and do the deform.
there will be a Masterclass on the auto rigs very soon.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
32 posts
That was it. Turning on Display Deform SOP did the job.
Thanks for helping.

A masterclass would be great.

Jeff
32 posts
…just curious. Is there a way to sculpt in Pose Based Deforms with the rig at this point?

Jeff
806 posts
> Turning on Display Deform SOP did the job.

… so it wasn't all wrong in the first place

> Is there a way to sculpt in Pose Based Deforms with the rig at this point?

Depending on what workflow you prefer - generally nothing keeps you from doing that, since you can sculpt on the rigged mesh and drive the changes to the geometry based on whatever value/parameter you wish.
As far as I can see, there isn't a “streamlined artists-friendly-click-here” way for that, but technically it's pretty straight forward.

Marc
---
Good bye.
32 posts
thanks.
61 posts
Hello, I am struggling to do what weight capture to my autorig
Can you please share how you did it?
806 posts
thejedi

Sorry, could you please explain your question? Showing some images of how far you got, maybe a (simplified!!!) test HIP file would make sense … and then, please, try to be SPECIFIC in your question.
Else we (or, well, maybe just me) need a help-forum for interpreting help-questions …

Marc
---
Good bye.
61 posts
malbrecht
thejedi

Sorry, could you please explain your question? Showing some images of how far you got, maybe a (simplified!!!) test HIP file would make sense … and then, please, try to be SPECIFIC in your question.
Else we (or, well, maybe just me) need a help-forum for interpreting help-questions …

Marc
Hi Malbrecht

I am trying to capture or paint weights to my model in Houdini 16
I am using the new Autorig system just like you show

So basically I followed your tutorial and also Houdini 16 Masterclass - Autorig Tools Overview on Vimeo
Sadly the author does not go into the detail of how to adjust the weights
where there are some problems

He just setups up the autorig and thats it

But what if you want to refine each weights of the bones in Houdini 16?

Ad in the capture region i see no bones being shown its empty

You can contact me at thejedi@henrythejedi.com
Please let me know if you want me to pay for your help

In the old Houdini tutorials, people were showing how to capture weights

But it seems the new Houdini 16 Autorig is using a different system

You can contact me at thejedi@henrythejedi.com
Please let me know if you want me to pay for your help

Please any help will be appreciated

Attachments:
Screenshot (25).png (845.7 KB)

• Quick Links