autorig capture issue

27834   27   3
806 posts
Hi, Henry,

thanks for the details, that's helping.
I don't have Houdini available for about 3-4 days until I get back home, else I would try to reproduce the problem.
In general, the autorig does not use anything that you wouldn't or couldn't use when creating a rig yourself, it's just “standard” bones. The weights are only being created when you actually do a weighting (e.g. biharmonic), before that you are only dealing with the skeleton. Do you have weights created?

Once weightmaps are created you can definitely use the “standard” tools (like paint-adjusting a weight map) by plugging in an edit node into the weighting workflow (graph).

What happens when you try to adjust a bone's map?

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
61 posts
malbrecht
Hi, Henry,

I don't have Houdini available for about 3-4 days until I get back home, else I would try to reproduce the problem.
In general, the autorig does not use anything that you wouldn't or couldn't use when creating a rig yourself, it's just “standard” bones. The weights are only being created when you actually do a weighting (e.g. biharmonic), before that you are only dealing with the skeleton. Do you have weights created?

Once weightmaps are created you can definitely use the “standard” tools (like paint-adjusting a weight map) by plugging in an edit node into the weighting workflow (graph).

Marc
Thanks lot mal
I'm so happy someone as finally replied to this issue
I don't have any weight maps I don't know how to add them im new to Houdini
Please if you need any format of compensation for your help just wI'll do that because you are really helping me
61 posts
malbrecht
Hi, Henry,

Marc
So in summary i know how to create the auto rig system but then that's as far as I get because even in all the online tutorials for Houdini 16 none of them actually shows anyou weight painting

So because of this my model has strange deformations in some places which need tweaking with weight capturing or skinning

So after I add the autorig I am stuck

Perhaps if you have time you can guide me onblow to create the weight map until you return to your computer in 4 days as you said

Thanks for everything once again
Edited by henrythejedi - Feb. 22, 2018 09:30:36
806 posts
I'll try my best once I am home. I don't have access to Houdini on the gig I'm working and I don't get home before I am done here …

From memory: After you created the rig, you have to create a weight map. That's a separate step. Once that map is created, every bone gets a “part” of that map assigned. Deformation (for animation) can only work if you have a skeleton (bones) and weights assigned to the bones, else you are just dealing with a mesh and a skeleton that don't have any “connection”.

Sorry that I cannot do better from where I am sitting. As soon as I can boot up a Houdini, I'll do some screenshots (more likely someone else will pop in here and just give THE ANSWER though )

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
61 posts
malbrecht
I'll try my best once I am home. I don't have access to Houdini on the gig I'm working and I don't get home before I am done here …

From memory: After you created the rig, you have to create a weight map. That's a separate step. Once that map is created, every bone gets a “part” of that map assigned. Deformation (for animation) can only work if you have a skeleton (bones) and weights assigned to the bones, else you are just dealing with a mesh and a skeleton that don't have any “connection”.

Sorry that I cannot do better from where I am sitting. As soon as I can boot up a Houdini, I'll do some screenshots (more likely someone else will pop in here and just give THE ANSWER though

I'll wait for your update

Clearly I really need a step by step guide

Thank you for everything once again
Edited by henrythejedi - Feb. 22, 2018 10:54:01
806 posts
Hi,

so, I did a quick rig with SimpleGuy. I hope this helps you out:

- picture 1: When you activate “create capture/deform network” in the autorig, that will actually be created
- picture 2: … however, it is not fully activated. Once you are done with the autorig and your rig setup (node) has been created, set its modification state to “allowed” (i.e. allow editing of content), then go to the right most top corner, where the chops and imports are
- there you find the imported geo node, which contains the CREATED but not EXECUTED setup for capturing and deforming
- picture 3: if you just activate “deform”, you will get an error claiming that there isn't anything to do … try “Stash Input” on the stash node, if that doesn't update, activate the capture node (whatever mode you used, in the screenshot I obviously opted for biharmonic) to let that execute once.
- then, obviously, set “deform1” as the active node again, else you would not get no deformation/satisfaction not.

Marc
Edited by malbrecht - Feb. 25, 2018 10:59:28

Attachments:
1.PNG (39.4 KB)
2-inside-rig-node-rightmost.PNG (41.9 KB)
3-clearstache-or-activatebiharmoniconce.PNG (51.3 KB)

---
Good bye.
806 posts
did it help at all?
---
Good bye.
61 posts
malbrecht
did it help at all?
Hello, malbrecht

You did as you promised

Thank you so much for your very nicely descriptive assistance with
the picture guidance

Yes it all becomes clear now thanks so much once again
The senior technical director also assisted with a video and he promised
there will be soon a proper video tutorials to explain all these to other people

I really appreciate everything malbrecht
  • Quick Links