popGrains for flowers bent by the wind. Problem..

1933   2   1
118 posts
I'd like to apply some wind force to a flower.
I've tried to use the popGrains node without much success

Have a look at the reference image, my goals are simple:
1) A wind force should bend and move the flower.
2)The movement of the whole flower should be influenced also by the weight/size of the ovary (green sphere).
3) the branches/petals attached to the ovary should move and bend accordingly

So far I sort of managed to move and bend the main stem inside a popnet with popGrains and attach the ovary-sphere to the end point of the stem. I cheated a bit to simulate the weight of the sphere, by dealing down the weight of the end point of the stem.

To simulate the branches/petals attached to the ovary, I tried to reproduce this setup found in Grain Solver for wires [www.tokeru.com] (file by Matt Estelahere [www.tokeru.com] ).
I got crazy results when I tried to use the @targetP attribute to drive the stiffness of my wires. I guess there is some conflict going on. Also probably it's not the way to go…

Anybody want to have a look at the attached project file?
Thanks!
Edited by Andr1 - Feb. 22, 2018 15:52:12

Attachments:
FlowerGrain_problem.hiplc (582.9 KB)

8526 posts
I'd suggest Wire Solver for this as Grain solver doesn't solve for angular constraints
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
118 posts
Hey Tomas thanks for the tip,

I tried the wire solver way and got better results indeed.
I used this trick [ihoudini.blogspot.de] to simulate the reciprocal connection between the wire and the attached sphere.
It reads internal force (@finternal) of the attach point on the wire, and apply it to the sphere with a “point force” node.

Problem:
How to do the same with multiple wires/spheres?

My idea was to use a Sop Solver node and read the @finternal and @P for every attach point and apply it to their relative sphere.
Somehow I should find a way to simulate a point force for ever attach point on the spheres. (But I don't really know how to do it).

Anyway, I'm already stuck before even trying: when I connect the Sop Solver (along with rbd solver) to a multiple, spheres go upwards.

I attached the hip file, in case you or anybody else is kind enough to have a look..
Thanks!
Edited by Andr1 - Feb. 24, 2018 04:10:20

Attachments:
Q_multipleStemsAndSpheres.hiplc (403.1 KB)

• Quick Links