Outputing Terrain and point instances from HE into UE4

4065   5   1
14 posts
Hello everybody,

I have tried several ways to output more than one data type at the same time from HE to Unreal. Is this possible? If so can someone post an example hda that successfully outputs terrain and points for example in two output nodes?

I am using HE 16.5.394

Thanks,
Robert.
Staff
534 posts
Hi Robert,

Outputting more than one data type is possible with the plugin, ie landscape and geometry..

In your case, you only get the landscape because the plugin doesn't support exporting cloud of points…

If you want to use those points for scattering, instance some geometry (like a box) on those points, you'll be able to override the box in unreal after.
14 posts
Hi dpernuit,

Thank you for the response.

I was not able to get your suggestion to work. I tried merging the landscape and instanced boxes, tried two different output nodes to keep the geometry streams seperate also.

I am setting the unreal_instance attribute on the point cloud produced from a scatter node and wanting to send the terrain back also.

The only work around I have currently, is to run the same HDA asset in Unreal side by side with a switch for the output type.

Any further suggestions would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

Just had a quick look at your issue, and found out that there was a bug in the Houdini Engine API that caused instancer points to be ignored when mixed with heightfields.
I've committed a fix for that, that will be available in tomorrow's daily build ( 16.5.404).

The instancing way I was refering to was to use a copy to point node (with pack and instance) and a simple box geo.
The resulting instanced box can be overriden in the Instanced Inputs section of the details panel.

I've attached a simple HDA that uses both methods (but using point instancer will only work on tomorrow's build).

Attachments:
damienp_heightfield_and_instances.hda (76.7 KB)

14 posts
Hi Damien,

Thank you for looking into this and the sample hda. I will check 16.5.404 tomorrow morning.

The point instancer is really the way I need to go to allow houdini to really produce large varied datasets, without the end user having to override the result.

Thanks again
Robert.
14 posts
Hi Damien,

That worked correctly for me, once I moved the output to an object level instead of outputting at a SOP level.

Regards,
Robert.
  • Quick Links