how do I make a ramp parameter on an hda reference another ramp parameter by default

3777   3   1
76 posts
And this other parameter would be on a higher level.
If the parameter would be a float I could just change the default channel of the parameter to: ch(“../../radius”)
But I want to link my ramp parameter to: ch(“../../radius_ramp”)

If I copy the parameter on the higher level and paste a relative reference I do get it working for that instance of the HDA. But I want the ch(“../../radius_ramp”) to be the default for the parameter so it will be there on any instance.
Actually the idea is that multiple instances will reference the same parameter on the higher level.

I can't seem to find an option for setting the default in the Edit Operator Type Properties window.
But I hope I'm wrong because this is the place where I would expect you can define a default.

I'm at the point of examining the mime file in the ascii version of the HDA on disk, so I've got the feeling I can't search any deeper.
Guess I could also use the creation script to add the parameter expression but I was hoping for a more elegant solution.

Anyone know of a way to set the default of this ramp parameter so it gets stored to the HDA?

thnx,
benS
Edited by ben5ch - Dec. 14, 2017 12:32:48
2036 posts
Yeah…it's a bit troublesome to use a float ramp in an hda.

I set up my network with a number of ramps, and ‘drag ’n dropped' them into the Edit Operator Type Properties like normally done with other parameters.

In the finished hda you can't add or take away points in the ramp at the hda level and have those changes reflected in within the hda where the ramps were first created.

In order to do so, you have to open up the specific instance of the hda, create the number of points desired on both the ramp at the hda level and the corresponding ramp within the hda. Then manually create references for each point number position and value.

Then you have to keep that specific hda open so as to retain those relationships.

Not very hda like behaviour.

Thought I would try going with a default setting of all my ramps with 5 points each.

But once those ramps are dragged into the Edit Operator Type Properties they get ( the points ) discarded, and even those there are 5 points at the hda level ramp you can only use one of them to affect change.

Must be a different way to set up a float ramp for an hda?
8532 posts
ben5ch
I can't seem to find an option for setting the default in the Edit Operator Type Properties window.

There is a button named Get From Parameter right next to Default Value Label
use that to set the current ramp shape as a default
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
48 posts
Tamte, thank you 🙂

Sharing it just in case somebody missed where it could be found (if it's greyed out, then it's enabled):

Additionally, default interpolation could also be changed from Liner to something else.
Edited by AnimGraphLab - July 4, 2023 09:04:46

Attachments:
channel_ramp_default_values.png (173.1 KB)

3D Generalist.
Socials: https://linktr.ee/AnimGraphLab [linktr.ee]
  • Quick Links