Shader bug? How to get displacement maps(procedural) out of the material builder for use with other shaders?

1227   0   0
63 posts
Hello everyone,

I have a strange issue with displacements that I cannot figure out how to solve. Perhaps somebody here has the answer to my problems?
Basically I want to use procedurally generated maps/patterns that reside inside a collapsed shader (Shader Builder) outside this node, in combination with other displacement maps. Think of it as kind of a way to daisy-chain displacements for use across multiple shaders. I have tried this, but no matter what I do, I cannot seem to get the basic setup to work properly. What am I doing wrong? Or is it perhaps a bug in Houdini that makes this impossible, or perhaps a limitation of the system or the mat context?

The base setup for the Shader Builder has been partially copied from the houdini masterclass on custom shaders in Houdini 16. ( https://vimeo.com/212603065 [vimeo.com] )
Please see the attached .hip example file to view the actual setup in detail.

I somehow think that I am overlooking something here, because it should be super easy to do these kinds of things in my mind, so hopefully some of you can spot what is going wrong here?

Thanks,

Doug

Attachments:
shader_test_v002.hipnc (735.6 KB)

• Quick Links