Setting the Camera near/Far clipping for render time only?

7219   6   2
403 posts
Is there a way to set my camera near/far clipping for render time only please? Just a little annoyed by the way this behaves in the scene view where geometries that are partially included in the range or overlap the boundaries of that range across the animation just disappear entirely all at once without progressive clipping.

Cheers,

A.
7737 posts
Clipping is a requirement of any rasterizer like the scene view, raytracers don't really need clipping. You can try making your far clip smaller(closer) to give more precision to the near clip so you can make it smaller, that should help with some of the popping for objects that are too close to the camera.

What is it you are after? Do you need separate clipping values for rendering and interactive? The only way to get that is either use a different camera to render, or use takes to change the value for the rendering.
403 posts
I'm using the far/near clipping range often to create animations with camera traveling along its Z-depth, infinite zoom type of stuff, Vjay material stuff. So i do need decent preview in the scene view to check my loops, but when i clip to close objects pop in and out indeed. Thanks, I'll try with the takes.

Cheers,

A.
13 posts
Why not have two cameras with all your important channels linked except for the clipping plane then just choose the other camera to render with?

Richard.
Edited by Krabr - March 15, 2018 04:38:50
403 posts
Hehe, exactly what i ended up doing! Thanks.
13 posts
Not sure if you are aware but you can create a Reference copy (right click on node > Actions >Create Reference Copy) which duplicates the camera node and links *all* then channels to the original. Then delete the channels from the clipping plane parameters etc.

Cheers,
Richard.
403 posts
Krabr
Not sure if you are aware but you can create a Reference copy (right click on node > Actions >Create Reference Copy) which duplicates the camera node and links *all* then channels to the original. Then delete the channels from the clipping plane parameters etc.

Cheers,
Richard.

I did NOT! Thanks for that one, very handy!

A.
  • Quick Links