How to create Point cloud from objects for instancing

2360   3   2
17 posts
Hi All

I learn Houdini and came across the task to be solved.
I have complete architecture vis scene imported to Houdini as FBX file.

The way scene was created originally (in modo) was that I have instances for all possible items, however they came to Houdini as seperate objects, so my goal is to have one prototype object and copy it over to point cloud.
And the examples of such object are Windows; I have dozens of them in whole scene on 2 multi-family buildings.

My first thought is to get item transform data from all windows and create point cloud based on that data.

Unfortunately I have no clue how to achieve that or maybe some different approach which I don't know is possible.

Thanks in advance for tips.
39 posts
Look into packed primitives and the assemble and pack sops.
13 posts
Hi McKormick,
I am not sure if you can get that sort of info from an fbx export (but would like to know), thus I think you would have to do some preparation in Modo first. For example replace all the instances in modo by some object (a point or null) such that when you fbx export they become points (or other identifiable) objects in Houdini. Export the geometry of the object that is being instanced in modo as a single object. Back in Houdini you will then have to set up the instancing manually: read in the single object with a file node (then pack it if its high polys and going to be instanced a large number of times), read in the instancing points and then copy-to-points etc.

Richard.
17 posts
Hi Guys
Thanks for the tips.
In the end I placed all instanced windows and balconies using ‘copy and transform’ node. Since they were forming nice pattern (rows and columns) it was quite easy to do.
Now I'm trying to recreate proper shaders to all geometry. I'm impressed so far by responsiveness of the viewport, 2 mln polys usually make modo fall on its knees and Houdini handles it with ease.

Lot to learn though.
  • Quick Links