Separating Multiple Geometry Inputs from Unreal

3487   3   0
34 posts
Im currently using multiple geometry inputs from Unreal into an HDA via the + symbol on the HDA rollout. It works fine for passing the separate assets into the HDA, but I'm trying to separate the geometry so I can randomize which object I use at different parts of the HDA.

The documentation states:
“When there is more than one geometry set as input, the geometries can be differentiated in the Digital Asset with the Unreal to Houdini attribute unreal_input_mesh_name which is created on the input geometry primitives.”

This is all working great but I'm trying to come up with a procedural way to separate these unique strings in Houdini so that I can either group or assign a unique attribute to them. I cant instance the geometry because I'm modifying the meshes and all that seems to be differentiating the objects is the string path to their unreal path.

I could just filter out by the literal path string but it would break the second I change the input mesh from unreal. Connectivity SOP doesnt work because the objects have separate subobjects.

Any ideas? Thanks
34 posts
This turned out to be stupidly easy. Just needed a foreach named loop with piece attribute set to unreal_input_mesh_name
1 posts
TheProgg
This turned out to be stupidly easy. Just needed a foreach named loop with piece attribute set to unreal_input_mesh_name
Hello there. I am trying to implement exactly the same logic in your post. However, after creating a “For-each Named Primitive” block, setting the piece attribute value in the block end node and connecting some SOPs inside the block, I got an error on the block-end node displaying “Missing Template Geometry”. As demonstrated in the screenshot attached below, all I want to do is to instantiate multiple meshes on the scattered points of a heightfield.
Looking forward to your reply and thanks in advance.
Image Not Found

Attachments:
Screenshot.png (27.9 KB)

900 posts
hey I might be very wrong because I've not much experience with UE4-Hou integration and don't fully understand your goals, but this should be the conventional setup when you want to have variation in your copies.

And then you refer to the foreach_begin1 node with a point() expression for geometry variation.

Relevant documentation: http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/copy/copytopoints.html#foreach [www.sidefx.com]

Again, apologies if that's not what you want to do.
Cheers
  • Quick Links