Clumping chunks generated by Booleans

2797   4   1
18 posts
Hi all,
With the big improvements to Booleans in H16 I want to move some of my fracturing pipeline to use Booleans instead of Voronoi. One of the great features of Voronoi for me was being able to clump multiple chunks into a larger chunk and clean up the geo by deleting interior faces and edges. I'm trying to add similar functionality to my tool using Booleans. The Voronoi Fracture does a fair amount of its cleanup based off of the cutting points, which I don't have for Booleans. I was able to clean up the redundant interior faces in the cluster by just deleting overlapping geo, but deleting the extraneous edges is proving harder. I have a clean selection of them but I don't know how to get rid of them without putting big holes in my geo. Both Dissolve and Edge Collapse cause holes. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Attachments:
boolean_extraneous_edges.jpg (26.4 KB)
boolean_clumping.hip (260.3 KB)

8535 posts
easier than you think

Attachments:
boolean_clumping_fix.hip (259.9 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
18 posts
Thanks Tomas. That method actually does a better job than my vex snippet at removing the overlapping inside pieces, but it still leaves all the extraneous edges on the outside of the chunks.
8535 posts
Matt Vitalone
but it still leaves all the extraneous edges on the outside of the chunks
it does, exactly like voronoi clustering

if you want to remove them, you can just select them and dissolve

Attachments:
boolean_clumping_fix2.hip (267.8 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
18 posts
Tomas, you are a wizard! That worked. Thank you very much.
  • Quick Links