Older Houdini with Newer UE4?

1841   4   2
132 posts
I'm trying, for the first time, to make my HDAs work with Unreal (Windows).
However, the provided Engine code for Houdini 15.5 (the license I have) only goes up to Unreal 4.14 but I'm working with 4.18.
I've downloaded Unreal 4.14 and tried it with my HDAs but it 1) seems buggy, 2) doesn't match the published documentation, from what I can tell.

So…what are my options for using my Houdini 15.5 license with a capable Unreal engine plugin, ideally in 4.18?
Is it possible?
Will it require building my Unreal engine and/or plugin from source?

Thanks for any tips.

-Len
603 posts
Yes, since we only update for the latest version of Houdini with the last two versions of Unreal.

Your option is then to use UE 4.14 or to build the 15.5 branch of the plugin from github manually with 4.18. This will be a substantial task because as you can imagine Epic has changed a lot of their code since 4.14 so there will definitely be build errors to fix.
132 posts
Thanks. I'm working with 4.14 for now and I've gotten some basic tests running.
It doesn't seem to handle input curves very well…I marshalled a spline component, changed the normals with polyframe and copied some objects to it, but the orientation is wrong.
Oh well. Making Houdini curves editable seems to work correctly.
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

The orientation you have with spline components is normal, I've explained why in your other post [www.sidefx.com].
132 posts
Thanks! The other post solved my issue. The earlier version of the Engine plugin that I'm using isn't as buggy as I feared! Excellent!
  • Quick Links