Path Deform on closed curve

2851   10   1
216 posts
Hello,

How can I have a continuous deformation on a closed curve ?
(Cf. screenshot and hip file)

Thank you

Attachments:
pathDeform_01.jpg (157.2 KB)
pathDeform_01.hiplc (94.8 KB)

472 posts
Hi,

your pathdeformer is not working for me, but I've tried it with another one and it ran into the same problem. But after I've used an open curve (instead closed one), which is closed at the end points and both tangents (start and end) equals in direction (with opposite sign), then it works for me. Here is my modification. You can see, that you can perform rotations (scales etc…) along the path aswell, but make sure that start/end values corresponds to eachother.

Attachments:
pathDeform_01_M.hipnc (116.4 KB)

216 posts
Thank You Aizatulin,

You've done a great job here with lots of options !
Now I'm sorry but, I still havn't a good junction (like the one on the opposite).
cf screenshot + hip file

Attachments:
pathDeform_02.jpg (99.6 KB)
pathDeform_02.hipnc (120.6 KB)

472 posts
Hi,

I would put the start/end points on a straight line (not on a corner). My example was a bit misleading. This should work for other path deformers aswell. And I would avoid sharp corners, rounding is one way to avoid this.

Attachments:
pathDeform_02M.hipnc (117.7 KB)

2036 posts
3 options

Attachments:
pathDeform_01.hiplc (241.0 KB)

216 posts
@Aizatulin, Thank you.
Now a newbie question : What's the way to change my start/end points on a straight line from my curve. I've tried to shift, etc.. without success.

@BabaJ, thank you also for your options, it give me of course a cleaner result, the only downside is that it only work with my duplicated cube shape and that I need to select manually face to bridge or create group.

Other option more straightforward I've found is the orbolt asset “splineWrapNH”, but it pin my corner .
I think I need to round corner also here like you do @Aizatulin but also need to manually tweak my curve before.
Edited by julca - March 25, 2018 14:18:51

Attachments:
pathDeform_03.jpg (85.2 KB)
pathDeform_03.hipnc (171.2 KB)

2036 posts
@BabaJ, thank you also for your options, it give me of course a cleaner result, the only downside is that it only work with my duplicated cube shape and that I need to select manually face to bridge or create group.

With some modifications, it could work with other shapes and changed so you don't have to select the prim faces manually.

There are other methods too that don't use the boolean nodes like I showed also.

It just all depends on what you really want in the end.
216 posts
A simple polybevel to make curve angles rounded also works without need to manually tweak input curve.
Still get final deform with angles not as clean as @BabaJ solutions, but it's more automatic.

Attachments:
pathDeform_04.jpg (79.1 KB)

472 posts
Hi,

a quick and dirty solution related to this example can be moving your first point between P0 and P1. After this you can add a new point/vertex to same position. It should work for all open poly splines. Another solution (not implemented yet
) can be a modification of the path deformer (that handles special case of closed poly splines but it will only work if you have access to the code etc…) or modifying the round tool (it was meant to be used for open poly spline only).

Attachments:
pathDeform_03M.hipnc (172.9 KB)

472 posts
yes polybevel will work aswell and it is more general tool, but afaik you cannot set the radius (that was the only reason I've created this tool), but in many cases you won't see a difference (you can compare both).
216 posts
Hi Aizatulin,

Your solution is good and I see difference with rounded curve of polybevel vs your one !

The path deformer is editable so if I take time I can probably modify it to handle the closed curve case and why not even make corner less pined or/and with your rounded option.

Thank you very much to you and @BabaJ for your time.
  • Quick Links