Orient Constraint FAIL with CHOPS!

2448   3   1
355 posts
Hi all, I'm trying to create an orient constraint using CHOPS constraints, but when I use the transformation mask on the parent constraint node to select only rotation, the object rotates from its own pivot instead of rotating from the pivot of the object that it's constrained to. How can I fix this?

See attached.

Attachments:
orient_constraint_test_FAIL_01.hip (138.7 KB)

hou.f*ckatdskmaya().forever()
402 posts
Hi Patrick,

what you have in your setup is what I would think of as being a pure orient constraint - the target object matches the orientation of the source object, but ignores all else.

Are you looking to have the pivot move with the orient_boss, but have the box keep it's own translations? In which case we'd have to build a rotation using the orient_boss's translate as the pivot position (If not, you'd be looking at a regular parent constraint).

Have a look at the modified scene file, and see if that was what you were after. There's three methods in there (all equivalent) - a transform wrangle, a transform vop network and using regular chop nodes. It was interesting for me that the transform VOP network came out a clear winner in terms of readability and so forth (I tend to run straight to wrangles )

See what you think,
Cheers!

Attachments:
orient_constraint_test_FAIL_01.hip (145.2 KB)

Henry Dean
355 posts
Hi friedasparagus, your setups is the result I was looking for. Coming from Maya though where this is what an orient constraint does automatically, it rotates the object around the pivot of the object it's constrained to, but I have no problem doing it this way opens up a lot of flexibility. Oh and yeh I prefer wrangles over VOPS lol, I love nodes but not that much, even here I still prefer the transform wrangle setup. Thanks again sir.
hou.f*ckatdskmaya().forever()
2 posts
Thank youuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lost 2 days trying to figure out what i was doing wrong. At first i thought maybe get the local space will fix the issue, but i was wrong. The offset is also a nightmare to understand, with no example scene file, no tutorial, i find constraints really hard to digest. Also i think constraint should be separated as (point, parent, orient), and made accessible within network view, or made into like a HDA with inputs for driver and driven.
  • Quick Links