Learning path: RIGGING IN HOUDINI 16+

35544   72   10
76 posts
Hi Mr Arctor you are very kind to answer the questions in your vacation.
I'm sorry I am not explain correctly my point of view.
In a 2d software “onion skin” is very handy in Houdini too.
The problem is when I use it I never found any way to freeze the “onion skin” pose during animation…
Let's think if I use Bea(female's Houdini character) and active onion skin I can go to misc tab and press D to set some configuration.
But the configuration not give to me any option to “freeze or bake” the specific pose to use like a reference that can help me.
Some thing like this below:

It is near what I thought but it will be more useful if we can have control to put the pose static may a “node” to do it
Any way now I'm studying character animation a lot and try to transfer all knowledge to Houdini.
Sorry to take this converstation to long but I think in a few time a lot of character animators will come to Houdini.
I'm use Houdini Indie this is a great tool to start our way.
85 posts
Hey harryabreu,

You can make a “snapshot” of a pose with the stach node
— dedeks 3000 —
76 posts
dedeks3000
Hey harryabreu,

You can make a “snapshot” of a pose with the stach node

Hi Dedeks3000 I'll try it thank you
Staff
3455 posts
you could try something like this - only better
install this hda
the first parameter points to the geometry you want to freeze
the second parameter is the frame you want

Attachments:
char_ref.hip (336.9 KB)
char_ref.hda (24.9 KB)

Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
76 posts
Good morning Arctor, thank you a lot.
I going to try it
36 posts
Hey all, sorry for disappearing.

Just wanted to say thank you to mister Goldfarb for those tutorials he's posting. When I started this thread I wasn't expecting all this success and, even though I know for a fact that SESI had those on schedule already, it was absolutely mind blowing seeing how closely Michael followed all our suggestions.

So that's it, I am following very closely all the tutorials that are coming out and I can't wait to watch the new ones Michael is still doing!

Thanks again!
30 posts
Just wondering if there’s an updated ETA of the upcoming rigging tutorials? Very much looking forward to them!
3 posts
I'm very much looking forward to the rest of the series as well.

One thing I found frustrating in most of rigging tutorials is the lack of explanation BEFORE showing the various techniques, where basically the instructor does his stuff, you absolutely don't understand what's going on, where he is going, what goal he's trying to reach nor why he's doing it ( what sense does it make to demonstrate something which has not been revealed yet ? ), and then at the end you need to roll everything back once the goal is ( finally ) made obvious in order to watch again and eventually understand why he was doing it.

Which is quite painful because god knows how rigging can be technical with a lot of expressions/connexions and nodes potentially deleted along the way.

Anyway, Michael's series is quite good on that side, so let's hope to see the rest soon
Staff
3455 posts
thanks for the kind words, glad the series is helpful.

just a note on the rest of the series, the videos are done and are in the editing queue to be cleaned up…along with lots of other nice things for your enjoyment.
So thanks for your patience!

and a second series is being recorded now on Capturing/Editing Weights/Deformation.
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
355 posts
goldfarb
thanks for the kind words, glad the series is helpful.

just a note on the rest of the series, the videos are done and are in the editing queue to be cleaned up…along with lots of other nice things for your enjoyment.
So thanks for your patience!

and a second series is being recorded now on Capturing/Editing Weights/Deformation.

We have to be really patient, I need to take a class to learn to be this patient. Why not just release the entire rigging series then edit the next series and so on, each video is released months after the next. I'm grateful for these series though. Thanks.
hou.f*ckatdskmaya().forever()
1 posts
Excuse me, Mr. Goldfarb! But where are the last 2 parts of Rigging series? It's already October now.
Staff
3455 posts
duoq
Excuse me, Mr. Goldfarb! But where are the last 2 parts of Rigging series? It's already October now.

they're being preped for release, the upcoming H17 release has push a bunch of stuff back but they will come asap.
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
1 posts
Hello!

I couldn't make meaningful progress past the 41ish minute mark of the Rigging Series - 01 HDA & Spine tutorial. I cannot figure out how to attach the mesh to the character rig. I feel I may be missing a piece of elementary knowledge, and I'm not even sure I am asking the right question. You skipped over something between 41:28 and 41:29, saying that it was simple but tedious. I am afraid this simple concept has eluded me and after dozens of hours of researching, reading, watching, and trying I’ve officially hit a wall I cannot climb over.

I have created all of the proxy geometry nodes for the spine and pelvis, and I have gone into my mesh body itself and created all the same nodes. How do I attach geometry to them? Is there a tutorial or guide somewhere for this exact thing? Your tutorial video was excellent, and even after I failed to create the proxy geometry I still created the entire node tree and everything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Edited by haileve - Oct. 4, 2018 21:00:26

Attachments:
536ccc9438d4ba3425803992fedba3d5.png (51.3 KB)
6047fba8564a55c2e35255442095a017.png (28.9 KB)

24 posts
Hello,

I’m following the great cat quad-rigging series by bjørn blaabjerg sørensen and the blendshapes-files for the head (video 10) are missing. is it possible to get these files or are they somewhere for download? I couldn’t find them. it would be great to have them, to go along with the series.

Thank you
6 posts
Hi
look here https://vimeo.com/246003027 [vimeo.com]

ciao j
24 posts
juergen
Hi
look here https://vimeo.com/246003027 [vimeo.com]

ciao j

thank you, but the blendshape-files are not included in the zip.
44 posts
Hey…

I've been following this rigging series and it's been really good, respect to Michael for making it…

I've encountered an issue during video three, around 32 mins in, where Michael creates the IK for the arm. The bones already have FK constraints and Michael creates a blend constraints node in the CHOP network to allow blending between the original getworldspace node and the constraint, ie. between FK and IK… I can't get this to work in R17, but it seems to work perfectly in R16.5 … Would anyone have any ideas why this wouldn't work in R17? Has there been a change somewhere?

The only visual difference that I can spot is that in R16.5 the bones have a time icon next to the channel icon, whereas this is missing in R17…
Edited by benek - Dec. 22, 2018 09:23:13

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2018-12-22 at 14.15.31.jpg (133.2 KB)

44 posts
… just filed a bug report for the above… I recreated the setup in R16.5 and it works fine, but when I open the same rig in R17 it breaks… Something's not working properly when you mix the Blend Constraint with IK…
Staff
3455 posts
there was an issue with constraints that was fixed just before the Holidays, please try updating to Houdini 17.0.451.
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
9 posts
Is the new videos for Capturing/Editing Weights/Deformation series coming soon ? It would really helpful. There are hundreds of tutorials for maya but almost nothing for Houdini regarding rigging. Houdini is amazing tool, but regarding this subject users are left in darkness. Sure some riggers with 10 years experience can figure things out, not so easy for new people. This tutorials are really great.
Thank you so much
Edited by AtiSphere - Jan. 25, 2019 16:24:01
  • Quick Links