Houdini 16.5 and Layer geometry node

5889   11   4
24 posts
I have uv, uv2 and uv3 attributes on my mesh, in houdini 16.0.736 I was able to use layer node and change
the current layer and then the uv layers/sets would change in uv view. the layer node does atm nothing
in Houdini 16.5.268, is this a bug or is there some new workflow?
Edited by kojala - Nov. 9, 2017 06:21:09
323 posts
“With the new built-in support for multiple texture attributes, the Layer SOP is now deprecated. If you were using it to swap other attributes, use Attribute Swap instead.”
Staff
5156 posts
There's a menu in the UV viewport which replaces the useless camera menu that was there in 16.0, and you can select the uv attribute to view from it (among other things). Much easier than adding Layer SOPs to manage the layer. All of the UV nodes also have a parameter to specify the target UV layer. If you add the UV operator from the TAB menu in the UV viewport, the displayed UV attribute will be set as the target UV layer in the new node.
24 posts
Im having serious problems with this new system, for an example, I have fbx mesh imported and it has uv and uv2 attributes. but I see in uv viewports/ new uv menu/ uv attribute section / and thers only “auto” and “uv”, no uv2? thers no difference in which I select. the selection doesnt even stick if I select the “uv”
24 posts
secondly, if I place uvunwrap node after my mesh and set the uv attribute to uv2 in the node, when selecting the node - now the new menu changes to show uv2.
how do I set the uv attribute back to be the active? as if I would have this uvunwrap in an HDA, I would like to set things back as they were before.

I tried adding uvtransform node and setting its uv attribute to uv, and in the new menu in uv viewport it still shows the uv2 as active - I have no feedback atm while moving the uvs
Edited by kojala - Nov. 9, 2017 10:23:51
1743 posts
Sorry, the attributes aren't currently being marked as “Texture Coordinate” type. You can work around it for now with an Attribute Create SOP with Write Values turned off, and the second drop-down beside “Type” set to Texture Coordinate, to set the other uv-like attributes to that type. I'll try to fix it soon.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
7 posts
How can I utilize multiple UV sets from 16.5 exported as FBX in UE4? Unreal doesn't see second/third UV (uv,uv2,uv3) while eg. 3d Coat sees.
10 posts
any news?

I'm trying to generate 2 uv sets in a mesh a created in houdini and I have no idea how to do so.
1743 posts
GILPStudio
any news?

I'm trying to generate 2 uv sets in a mesh a created in houdini and I have no idea how to do so.
The UV viewport and UV-related SOPs should support specifying the UV attribute name you'd like to use. The original issue of the thread, having the UV viewport be able to pick up attributes that aren't marked as Texture Coordinate, but are named as “uv” followed by a number, was resolved a few months ago (thanks, twod!). If you're asking about FBX support, I don't know whether it's been added to the FBX exporter or not.
93 posts
Errrrrr!! Bad new system. We need a tutorial how to use new uvs!
1743 posts
Paul Geraskin
Errrrrr!! Bad new system. We need a tutorial how to use new uvs!
What seems to be causing you frustration about it? We might be able to help.
4 posts
GILPStudio
any news?

I don't know if I understand you correctly, but now You have to write exactly what uv attribute you want to use.

Attachments:
layersop.jpg (121.8 KB)

• Quick Links