Export seamless looping Ocean from Small Ocean tool

4491   3   2
350 posts
Hi

Gone thru the excellent Master Class on the new Ocean tools in H16.

https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/houdini-16-ocean-tools/ [www.sidefx.com]

At roughly 1:18:40 in the process of baking texture maps is discussed for rendering in another application. In my case I want to generate a FBX with texture maps for use in either Unreal or Unity. The baking texture maps process I understand but am confused about how to properly output the mesh so that it seamlessly loops.

In the attached .hip i have a simple 240 frame scene using the Small Ocean tool. In the Ocean Spectrum node I have enabled Loop Over Time and the loop period is 10(seconds).

Doesn't this mean that a 240 frame sequence running at 24 fps should loop seamlessly?

But when I play back in the timeline with looping enabled there is always a noticeable “jump” when I go from frame 240 to frame 1.

What am I doing wrong?

OceanSpectrum_loop.png
Edited by art3mis - Aug. 26, 2017 14:20:42

Attachments:
ocean_sim1.hiplc (1018.2 KB)
OceanSpectrum_loop.png (44.2 KB)

8 posts
Hello,

Value in Loop Over time stand for seconds. So if you setup:

Loop Over Time: 4
timeline for 250 frames
and 25 fps in timeline settings

You should get result you want.

Best
Kamil
3 posts
Hi

Was wondering if I may add some comments, hope not too late.

a.) Looping - after you checked the Loop. Make sure to divide full frame of animation with your frame rate. E.g I have 600 frames with 60fps. I use $RFEND/60.

b.) One place that commonly missed with all the knobs in houdini, under Masking do not add noise if you want a clean looping. Adding noise simply randomise the surface UV.

Therefore it is a balance of randomises, which looks better or clean 100% working looping with no noise, but the repetitiveness artefact can be very obvious in a large ocean.

Hope it helps

Attachments:
Capture_Looping Settings.JPG (51.1 KB)

1 posts
Sorry for hopping on an old post but I am also struggling to get this to work. I am on H20 and just using the basic SOP Flip Configure Wave tank setup.

30FPS
240Frames
$RFEND/30
Noise turned off.

It doesn't loop. What am I missing? Thnx

Attachments:
Capture.PNG (4.4 MB)

• Quick Links