Rendering Normals of Pyro + Fluid sims

2910   2   1
14 posts
Hey guys!
New to Houdini here and I'm learning that this engine is fantastically mind numbing in a great way. Here's the issue I've been having and I can't seem to get a good simple solution. I'm trying to get tangent normal maps so I could transfer it into a game engine.

Made a Liquid / Pyro Simulation > Go into Mantra setting's Extra Image Planes > Check Shading Normal or Tangent Normal > Render in MPlay > Check N / Nt and find nothing has been rendered.

Is there a node I need to put somewhere for it to render out smoke / fluid normals? If I could get some help to solve this, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Thank you and feels great to finally be part of SideFX community!
-Daniel

PS: Please explain as dumbed down as possible since I'm pretty new.
69 posts
I'm not sure of the right approach to export normal from volume like Pyro but you can use RGB lighting rig setup and light the smoke in a hacky way.

I know it works because I use it when creating several FX assets for use in Maya Viewport 2.0 although trial and error will be your best friend as you figure out the right light intensity and also shader settings.

There is also this thread with a sample file by Sadjad Rabiee in post #2: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/41603/ [www.sidefx.com]
14 posts
Ah, great! I'll definitely check that file out and try to learn what they did there.
  • Quick Links