Houdni and Substance Painter link?

5111   2   1
116 posts
Hello,

I know there exists such thing as plugin between Houdini and Substance painter.
https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=15420.0 [forum.allegorithmic.com]

I have few questions.

1. Using this plugin can i texture in Substance and take textures to Houdini and build VFX effect on top of the model while having those textures?

2. Is there a plugin also for Houdni and Substance Designer

3. Is there similar plugin for Mari and Houdini?

Best regards
Tanel.V
806 posts
Moin, Tanel,

I assume that your questions can better be answered on the Allegorithmic forums, since this is more of a Houdini forum

This is what I *think*:

> 1. Using this plugin can i texture in Substance and take textures to Houdini and build VFX effect on top of the model while having those textures?

I would guess so. From what I have seen, the “plugin” uses a bridge that grants you access to Painter's “full functionality”. I would think that reading in pre-made textures (images) shouldn't be a problem.

> 2. Is there a plugin also for Houdni and Substance Designer

I haven't heard of it. The bridge used for Painter should, as far as I understand it, basically work for Designer, too, but you probably have to “design” (sorry the pun) the plugin on Houdini side.
Again, as far as I understand, support from users was underwhelming for the guy who developed the Painter-integration, if you aren't going to sponsor him for a Designer version, I have my doubts that he is going to invest into a Designer version …

> 3. Is there similar plugin for Mari and Houdini?

Not that I have heard of, but I have technical doubts about this working in a similar fashion. Part of Mari's “power” comes from its specific viewport that you cannot just “reproduce” in Houdini. If it was possible to “pop in” a Mari viewport into Houdini, this might work to some degree. Since Mari's isn't about painting only but works as a pipeline tool (data management), too, my assumption here is that an integration would be more of a hack like GoZ, not a real integration (where data flow from one application is “docked into” another application). And dealing with huge amounts of data, which Mari has been designed for, would not be fun using a hack like GoZ (exporting, import, natively handle, export, import …)

Marc
Edited by malbrecht - April 8, 2018 03:27:20
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
2 posts
Hi ISUther

Im the one that developed the plugin, i can try to answer questions 1 and 2

1) The plugin automatically exports the texture sets to a location you define and creates the materials in houdini, i found out that doing that by hand usually takes a lot of time, that is why i created at first for myself this plugin

2) It can be done but depends mainly on your workflow…i have an integration for this.. working with blender and houdini that i usually use in my projects.. but i would require more info on what you have in mind

ISUther
Hello,

I know there exists such thing as plugin between Houdini and Substance painter.
https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=15420.0 [forum.allegorithmic.com]

I have few questions.

1. Using this plugin can i texture in Substance and take textures to Houdini and build VFX effect on top of the model while having those textures?

2. Is there a plugin also for Houdni and Substance Designer

3. Is there similar plugin for Mari and Houdini?

Best regards
Tanel.V
  • Quick Links