Capture weights editing problem

2258   5   2
517 posts
Hi all! A bit stuck with this, just trying to speed up skinning a bit. The biharmonic comes up with great results off the bat but but I’m struggling with parts of the mesh that I’d like to 100% skin to a bone.
Say you have a piece of armor that is modeled into the mesh, is there a way to select that whole piece easily and adjust its weights?
It’s just that I’m running into this a bit and adjusting weights is getting a bit time consuming.
Staff
3455 posts
use the Edit Capture Weights tool
here is a quick video - I'm doing a tutorial series on this now…

and if you can't select the geometry for some reason, too complex or whatever, the Edit Capture Weights Tool will create a captureoverride node that can take a group.
Edited by goldfarb - April 5, 2018 11:18:12

Attachments:
edit_capture_weights.mp4 (3.7 MB)

Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
517 posts
Thanks goldfarb,
Great to know you are doing a vid! I learnt a few things from that little one and I've been doing it for a little while now
I'll definitely keep an eye out!

I think it would be really useful to have the full set of tools though, like select loop,ring, grow, and those tools that are normally available while selecting things. It just feels, with that section you were editing you could just select one point, hit grow a bunch of times and you'd have the whole thing! Also when I'm doing legs, arms or any tube type geo, loops would be a real time saver.
Staff
3455 posts
peteski
I think it would be really useful to have the full set of tools though, like select loop,ring, grow, and those tools that are normally available while selecting things. It just feels, with that section you were editing you could just select one point, hit grow a bunch of times and you'd have the whole thing! Also when I'm doing legs, arms or any tube type geo, loops would be a real time saver.

I agree and these are already RFEs
in the meantime point groups will help out.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
402 posts
Hey Pete,

Whilst it's probably not an ideal state of affairs, I thought I'd knock together a couple of little examples of using the capture attribute unpack to perform some operations on capture weights that might be handy.

Even if I've missed the mark by some miles, maybe it might spark some ideas for you,

Cheers!
Henry

EDIT: I forgot to make a note of the the ‘Iterations’ parm on the grow_from_selection subnet, that's what'll control how far the weights will expand from the initial selection
Edited by friedasparagus - April 7, 2018 07:32:33

Attachments:
capture_operations_demo.hip (178.5 KB)

Henry Dean
517 posts
Hey thanks man! You have definitely got a better handle on it than me. I'm going to get into it a bit this week so I'll let you know how I go.
  • Quick Links