Custom Extra Image Planes

16456   3   0
96 posts
Hi,

I'm new to Houdini, trying to export custom variables via Extra Image Planes. Basically, I want to be able to set a custom object ID for different objects and render out a gbuffer pass.

Attached is a sample file. I created the Bind node in the shader, applied to sphere, plane and heightfield. I created an attribute with the gbuff variable name and used that in bind and extra image plane output. I'm not sure what I am missing, but I don't see the data output.

I would be fine with single number values, or rgb values for the channel. The idea was that all of these mattes could show up in one channel this way. If there is some other way I need to do this instead, feel free to share.

Thanks.

Adnan

Attachments:
extraImagePlanes.hiplc (1.7 MB)

69 posts
I didn't check your file but I guess you're looking for a way to output Object ID like in other 3D package.

Check out this post: http://forums.odforce.net/topic/24745-best-approach-to-object-id-pass/?tab=comments#comment-144557 [forums.odforce.net]
96 posts
Thanks for the reply Huey Yeng. That file looks good. I pasted the contents of the material into my material in my scene and it works for a sphere I put into the scene, but not the heightfields. I think I'm close, but not quite at the solution for this. Anyone?

Thanks,

Adnan
Edited by madguru - April 16, 2018 13:23:52
96 posts
So, I got it to work by converting the heightfields to polygons or polygon soup using a convert heightfield node, but I lose the point colors from the heightfield erode node's visualization tab.

Besides this, I don't really know how the material is setup. I pasted a bunch of nodes from the sample file Huey Yeng shared a link to and fiddled with it until it worked. Is there some documentation on this process? Also, can I directly create mattes for heightfields using this method? I really don't want to convert to polygon soup to do this if possible.

Thanks,

Adnan
  • Quick Links