Ik end effectors not created at the right place?

3463   28   1
Staff
3455 posts
you could use a proximity capture or bonecapturelines SOP to build you list - then copy/paste over.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
403 posts
goldfarb
you could use a proximity capture or bonecapturelines SOP to build you list - then copy/paste over.

I will, cause object merge doesn't allow multiple choices i believe. Never used those you mentioned yet, still learning.

Thanks,

A.
Staff
3455 posts
please feel free to post here as much as you want - I try to read everything related to rigging, I do miss some things which is why it's important to make RFEs - https://www.sidefx.com/bugs/submit/ [www.sidefx.com]

submissions there are read and assigned to the right people.

but don't feel that you're wasting anyone's time by talking through things here on the forum - it's all useful.
Edited by goldfarb - April 24, 2018 12:56:05
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
403 posts
Sorry for going off topic here, but since you're around Michael, i'd like to ask, as i'm a bit surprised… there isn't any deafult “Spline IK” option in Houdini? Andi mean “real” Spline IK with the option to chose how many null controllers you wnat along that curve bones chain (Like in 3ds Max foir instance) ?

Cheers,

A.
403 posts
goldfarb
please feel free to post here as much as you want - I try to read everything related to rigging, I do miss some things which is why it's important to make RFEs - https://www.sidefx.com/bugs/submit/ [www.sidefx.com]

submissions here are read and assigned to the right people.

but don't feel that you're wasting anyone's time by talking through things here on the forum - it's all useful.

Yes, thanks for all you do around here on the topic. I'm barely scartching the surface of rigging into Houdini, and although i'm more of a generalist i always built my own rigs in Max before. Now that i dumped that old rigid obsolete rusty toolbox and swapped to HOudin i'm slowly trying to fill in the blanks. I'm actually watching the presentation you gave in Utrecht last year, wish i had been there but moved out of Holland a month before after 15 years there and many EUEs. Teaching myself HOudini rigging from the pacific ocean beaches of Nicaragua now (in the middle of riots and buildings burning to the ground :$). Also just discovered the use of Chops few minutes ago in rigging…. and this just made up for all my little frustrations of the past days, blew my mind literally (https://vimeo.com/209784546).

Anyway, if i bump into anything relevant to report i'll make RFEs from here on.

Thanks,

A.
Edited by Adriano - April 24, 2018 12:27:21
Staff
3455 posts
Adriano
there isn't any deafult “Spline IK” option in Houdini? Andi mean “real” Spline IK with the option to chose how many null controllers you wnat along that curve bones chain (Like in 3ds Max foir instance) ?

In Houdini this sort of thing is usually left to the rigger to set up - this is changing as we're updating many of the tools/workflows related to rigging/animation and with more users of other applications starting to use Houdini. What you find in most other applications is a one button solution that does all the work under the hood - giving you something you can use but that isn't very flexible or stuck in a black box. Houdini's approach has most often been the opposite - you have all the tools and flexibility you could ever want - but you have to set it up yourself. So we're gradually building these sorts of things based on feedback from users - a great example of this is the Games Toolset (https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/game-development-toolset-overview/) - these are built to solve specific workflows common in game dev.
You can expect the same sort of thing to happen in Rigging, over time and with user feedback we'll start building more of these kinds of things to make it easier/faster for users to, for example, make a Spline IK that suits their needs.
SplineIK is pretty high on the list but again, please submit an RFE if there is something you think would be useful.
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
403 posts
goldfarb
Adriano
there isn't any deafult “Spline IK” option in Houdini? Andi mean “real” Spline IK with the option to chose how many null controllers you wnat along that curve bones chain (Like in 3ds Max foir instance) ?

In Houdini this sort of thing is usually left to the rigger to set up - this is changing as we're updating many of the tools/workflows related to rigging/animation and with more users of other applications starting to use Houdini. What you find in most other applications is a one button solution that does all the work under the hood - giving you something you can use but that isn't very flexible or stuck in a black box. Houdini's approach has most often been the opposite - you have all the tools and flexibility you could ever want - but you have to set it up yourself. So we're gradually building these sorts of things based on feedback from users - a great example of this is the Games Toolset (https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/game-development-toolset-overview/) - these are built to solve specific workflows common in game dev.
You can expect the same sort of thing to happen in Rigging, over time and with user feedback we'll start building more of these kinds of things to make it easier/faster for users to, for example, make a Spline IK that suits their needs.
SplineIK is pretty high on the list but again, please submit an RFE if there is something you think would be useful.

Thanks for taking the time to explain, but you don't really have to convince me of the benefits, i know a bit and heard of the unparalleled flexibility, again in previous replies here as well today, of most tools available in HOudini. It's just my noob's frustration and inability to translate 15 years of experience in other packages into it fast enough, that's all.

That said… i find posts from years ago, almost a decade even, about Spline IK issues So i really hope some of the shelf solution will pop for that, cause trying to build my own here sorta resluted in infinite recursive or whatever redundant issues to keep controlers stuck on the spline while still being able to deform it at the same time… in the end animating points on a resampled curve and have it deform the main rig curve was just plain faster although not the best workflow. In time i'll learn to buld such set up in a robust fucntional fashion, not today though :$

Cheers, i'm on to post my next riggin question in a new thread

A.
Edited by Adriano - April 24, 2018 17:24:41
Staff
3455 posts
goldfarb
Yesterday 11:11 A.M.
Adriano
Just found out also with a little help from a friend how to edit capture region orientation after applying IK… and that's at sub-sop level :$ So one more context to search in. And i'm now wasting so much time bringing my “extra regions” manually by selecting bones, dropping them in the python shell window, copying that text, cleaning it up in notepad, pasting it back into the bone capture node…

what exactly are you doing here?
I did just notice that the Bone Capture SOP doesn't have an Operator Chooser on it's Extra Regions parameter (RFE #89103). Is this the parameter you're filling in?

RFE #89103 : fixed in tomorrows build of Houdini 16.5
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
403 posts
goldfarb
goldfarb
Yesterday 11:11 A.M.
Adriano
Just found out also with a little help from a friend how to edit capture region orientation after applying IK… and that's at sub-sop level :$ So one more context to search in. And i'm now wasting so much time bringing my “extra regions” manually by selecting bones, dropping them in the python shell window, copying that text, cleaning it up in notepad, pasting it back into the bone capture node…

what exactly are you doing here?
I did just notice that the Bone Capture SOP doesn't have an Operator Chooser on it's Extra Regions parameter (RFE #89103). Is this the parameter you're filling in?

RFE #89103 : fixed in tomorrows build of Houdini 16.5

Holy cow, you guys so fast i'm actually going to benefit of that improvement in the same project that made me notice that little restriction in? The blast from that news just made me fall off my chair…

Thanks a bunch.

A.
Edited by Adriano - April 25, 2018 18:56:09
  • Quick Links