Finite Element constraint to animated object

3945   7   3
143 posts
This is probably a stupid question, but I've spent half of today trying to find an answer with no luck.
I've got a simple animation, a hose, that's sticking out of a wall on one end, and is attached to a moving handle on the other end. So my instinct was to use a FEM solver with each of the TET mesh being constrained to one locator, one stationary, the other moving.
My problem is, I successfully managed to keep the stationary piece in place by using a Target Constraint, but I didn't manage to find a way to constrain the other end to the moving locator.
I'll be very thankful for any tips or even tutorial links, that could clear this workflow up for me.

Cheers,
Ivan
483 posts
Something like this?

Attachments:
pinned_simple.hip (205.5 KB)

English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
143 posts
Hi Matthias, thanks, that's very close to what I need, but the SBD pin constraint doesn't seem to be working with the FEM solver, which leaves me back at square one, trying to figure out a way to attach TET mesh points to a moving target during a FEM simulation.
614 posts
I haven't found a way to attach/constrain a FEM to a moving object tought the regular constrain nodes might do the trick but none of them worked for me.
143 posts
I got it working with a wire solver in the end, had to reference the Null's transforms in the Pin node manually though. I guess the same would have worked for a FEM object as well, will try that once I have some more time to experiment.
8513 posts
did you try using pintoanimation attribute?

Attachments:
fem_pintoanimation.hip (145.9 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
2 posts
tamte
Hi Tomas.
Thanks for sharing that scene. Helped me move forward learning to work with animated FEM!
Cheers,
15 posts
tamte
Thanks for sharing, Tomas! It's straight and simple! Your setup didn't work for me at first in Houdini 19 because the "pintoanimation" attribute type was set to float. But when I changed it to integer, everything worked like a charm!
  • Quick Links