BUG? Colormap VOP

3000   1   0
12442 posts
Hi there,

I see that the Colormap VOP is pretty confusing. It has all these plugs for Filter Width, Filter, Mip Levels but has only u and v inputs, not uu and vv for the corners of the sampled quadrilateral. i.e., all these inputs seem to be totally useless since there is no way to perform filtered lookups on any textures (without supplying your own u and v derivatives in the form of quadrilateral).

So, are the docs wrong when they write this?
Houdini Docs
colormap(map, u, v, “smode”, “decal”, “tmode”, “repeat”, “border”, {.1,1,1});
colormap(map, u, v, “mode”, “clamp”, “width”, 1.3);
colormap(map, u, v, “filter”, “gauss”, “width”, 1.3, “mode”, “repeat”);
…since they have no meaning without derivatives, as in the SOP and COP context. Should they be:
Houdini Docs Wanna Be
colormap(map, u-uu/2, v-vv/2, u +uu/2, v+vv/2,…., “smode”, “decal”, “tmode”, “repeat”, “border”, {.1,1,1});

Confused,
Jason
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
Staff
2591 posts
jason_iversen
Hi there,

I see that the Colormap VOP is pretty confusing. It has all these plugs for Filter Width, Filter, Mip Levels but has only u and v inputs, not uu and vv for the corners of the sampled quadrilateral. i.e., all these inputs seem to be totally useless since there is no way to perform filtered lookups on any textures (without supplying your own u and v derivatives in the form of quadrilateral).

So, are the docs wrong when they write this?
Houdini Docs
colormap(map, u, v, “smode”, “decal”, “tmode”, “repeat”, “border”, {.1,1,1});
colormap(map, u, v, “mode”, “clamp”, “width”, 1.3);
colormap(map, u, v, “filter”, “gauss”, “width”, 1.3, “mode”, “repeat”);
…since they have no meaning without derivatives, as in the SOP and COP context. Should they be:
Houdini Docs Wanna Be
colormap(map, u-uu/2, v-vv/2, u +uu/2, v+vv/2,…., “smode”, “decal”, “tmode”, “repeat”, “border”, {.1,1,1});

Confused,
Jason

You are absolutely correct. The filter, width, extrapolate and interp options are all ignored in the VEX code and shouldn't exist in the VOP since they are misleading.

I've submitted a bug to this effect.
  • Quick Links