texture stamping

6919   9   2
176 posts
I know I have seen posts on how to do this…..does anyone know where? :shock:

I am trying to stamp the map_base parameter in a VEX layered surface..

I tryed passing map_base in an attribcreate….
can you even copy stamp attrbutes?

$PATH/`stamp(“../copy1”,“test”,1)`/image.pic
how could you put a stamp inside of an attib sting?

thanks!
141 posts
I don't know the exact answer to your question but maybe you can try the stamps function to stamp string parameters?
/Rick
176 posts
so far i have a folder with folders 1-10 in it.
each folder has different pictures with the same name.

I made an attribute create, class set to Detail, and String to:
$WIP/texturestamp/`stamp(“../copy1”, “map”, 1)`/test.jpg

then in copy1, referencing map in the stamp tab, I found that putting numbers for the folders works, ie: 1,2,3,4…as a test to see if everything is being passed correctly.

when I use something like int($CY), it doesnt work. int($PT) as well doesnt work.
321 posts
If you're stamping all the way into SHOPs, you'll need to use a shader SOP, and make sure that the setting is such that the completely dereferenced string is placed on each primitive. Check the geometry spreadsheet to make sure that the values are set to what you want.

Also, in the attribcreate, make sure that you put your string into the value, not the default, parameter (I've made that mistake a bunch of times!)

– Antoine
Antoine Durr
Floq FX
antoine@floqfx.com
ok..I changed it from a detail to a primitive attribute and it worked…thanks
176 posts
since we are on this topic….sort of…

can this be done with instancing?

is there some way to do stamping with instancing?
141 posts
I worked up a sample hip for you for stamping primitives attributes but I see Antoine already sorted you out. Well I'm attaching it anyways since I took the time to make it

I don't see why you can't use stamping with instances. Check out the Mantra Instancing video that Peter Bowmar did a while back. I think it was for houdini7.0. You can find a link to the videos by searching here or odforce.
He doesn't get into stamping but he uses random expressions. You “should” be able to just replace the random expression with your stamp expression.
Cheers,

/Rick

Attachments:
StampAttr.tar.gz (255.3 KB)

/Rick
176 posts
nice! I liked the random expression in the Look_inside_me obj…its always good to have more than one method.
641 posts
Sometimes in these cases you're better off using sprintf in your shader to assemble the texture string and just passing in a simple attribute on the geometry. This way you can pass through lightweight point attributes and the shader deals with the stricky string munging.

Cheers
Louis
176 posts
what is sprintf?
  • Quick Links