Capture Layer Paint select cregion from mesh

3018   7   2
402 posts
Hello out there,

I've been desperately avoiding doing any proper work… this is what filled the void.

The attached shelf tool is made to be used along with the Capture Layer Paint SOP, and when launched will prompt you to select a position in the viewport. Clicking on the surface of the mesh you are currently weighting will query the geometry for the capture regions currently influencing that primitive and if there is more than one, will bring up a dialog with the bone names (ordered by descending influence), so you can select which one you want to paint with.

If there is only one cregion influencing the primitive, it will skip the dialog and update the Capture Layer Paint to paint that cregion.

The script ignores weights below a threshold which you can set at the top of the script.

Made out of bad memories of trying to weight eyelids with bonkers amounts of ghosted bones all over the place and MMB clicking like a fiend Maybe someone else will find it useful.

Cheers!

PS. Assigning a hotkey is recommended!

Attachments:
captureutils.shelf (3.7 KB)
cregion_sel_demo.gif (834.2 KB)

Henry Dean
676 posts
Hey Henry,

WOW this tool is so super useful!
Picking the right bone to weight to is cumbersome in all 3D packages i know.
sweet solution!

Thank you so much for sharing!

Cheers
Philipp

edit:
one little nitpicking caveat: is it possible to spawn the selector window near the mouse cursor and not in the center of the screen? love it!
Edited by CYTE - May 9, 2018 15:31:03
402 posts
Hey Philipp,

CYTE
one little nitpicking caveat: is it possible to spawn the selector window near the mouse cursor and not in the center of the screen?

Haha! Yes, that thought was on my mind too. I'd love to clean up the pyside stuff here and make the ui a little more slick. Hopefully I'll be able to get round to that very shortly.

Glad you find it handy!

Henry
Henry Dean
402 posts
Ok, couldn't resist. Here's the updated version…

Fixes include
Undo handling improved - the tool will properly stay in the capture layer paint state either when applying or exiting the dialog
Dialog appear next to the mouse position upon clicking

Improvements (hopefully):
Cleaner UI
Coloured bars to help quickly distinguish the influence of each bone
Clicking outside of a button will close the dialog with no change to the bone selection

Enjoy

Attachments:
Screenshot (39).png (378.7 KB)
captureutils.shelf (6.4 KB)

Henry Dean
56 posts
Can you add hammer tools(like maya),allow selecting vertixes and assign weight,locking the bone weight.
655 posts
I would suggest you put those tools in GitHub so updating is easy and can be automated… just saying.

Thanks dude for the tools, great job.
402 posts
Hey Jordi,

Heh, this one only started as an idle afternoon show-and-tell Got a little more involved in the end…
When I've got a healthier contingent of polished tools together then I'll certainly look at resurrecting a repository.

Cheers!
Henry Dean
167 posts
Really nice stuff Henry. I'm +1'ing the GitHub repository. A nice HD-tools library would be a good addition!
  • Quick Links