sweep and caps?

3879   6   2
280 posts
I find a bit strange that the sweep SOP properly sweep the cross section but do not cap it?
I mean I fix that lack of functionality by adding another sweep and copy the cross section at the beggining and end point of the backbone, and then fuse the points. But it really makes no sense not to have that functionality included right?

Nico.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm8408875/ [www.imdb.com]
471 posts
Seems Skin with Auto Closure and Skin with Preserve Shape and Auto Closure don't work no matter if your cross section is open or close.
Did you submit a bug for this?
I'm using H 16.5.268.
280 posts
Nima
Seems Skin with Auto Closure and Skin with Preserve Shape and Auto Closure don't work no matter if your cross section is open or close.
Did you submit a bug for this?
I'm using H 16.5.268.

Nope,I just assumed this was the natural behaviour of sweep to be honest.
471 posts
I uninstalled Houdini 16 unfortunately but it would be great if you give this a shot in H16 too.
If problem doesn't persist in 16 then submit a bug for 16.5.
280 posts
I already submitted it as a bug. Thanks nima.
57 posts
Nicolas Heluani
I already submitted it as a bug. Thanks nima.

This bug still exists in 16.5, workaround is to use cap node but what's the point of having auto closure in sweep if it does not work?

These kind of bugs make it more difficult to learn Houdini as of course I assumed *I* have done something wrong and wasted time on figuring out what it was. Then finally as I couldn't fix it I came here and now I know it is STILL bug.

Fix this soon

Antti
My system:
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990 (32-core),64GB RAM,NVIDIA RTX 3090,Win10
UE5.1,Houdini 19.5 Indie(always latest daily),Blender,Clarisse,Onyx,ZBrush...
Clarisse 2016-09, Houdini 2018-05 (seriously 2019-10)
I do all 3D for fun, no business
340 posts
For a long time I thought this was a bug, but if you read the help for sweep, you will see that autoclosure refers to closure of the spline used in the sweep. See attachment for the difference in the two skin types.

So yes, you need to create caps. The sweep is a lot more tedious and complicated than in other 3D apps, and I would hope Houdini would eventually have option buttons to recreate some of the difficult parts (like automatically creating caps, proper UVs, etc.). If you look at the recreation of the C4D helix (in this section of the forum), you can see how many things need to be added to make the sweep “work”.
Edited by Island - May 10, 2018 11:23:25

Attachments:
SweepClosures.hiplc (89.3 KB)
SweepClosures.jpg (896.9 KB)

• Quick Links