Long Hair Scene?

2158   4   0
310 posts
Hi there,
I'm working on a scene with a character with long hair, and would really appreciate an example of a working long hair scene, to compare a few settings. Issues I'm having are:

1. The collision quality. It looks like my hairs are interpenetrating my collision mesh at some points, so the optimal format for collisions would help me here.
2. Nice movement. I'm trying to get a nice hair like movement from my sim. At the moment, my results aren't terrible, but I'd like to see what Spatial scale people use, as well as what target stiffness is good, etc.

If anyone has a sample file, I'd definitely appreciate it. Thanks!
2528 posts
I put together a tutorial on shoulder length hair for Houdini 16. The tools have been revised and improved since, but there may be some configuration tips in the video that might help you out. Mainly dealing with collision.

https://vimeo.com/240940636 [vimeo.com]
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
310 posts
Thanks for sharing. I'm actually working on a scene with alembic curves that I had to parent onto an alembic head that I'm using for collisions. I don't even need to generate the hair, just simulate the curves.

A couple questions. I noticed that you changed your Target Stiffness to 0, which you described as resistance to gravity. You also said that increasing this value to 1000 made the hair stretch a lot, but I saw the opposite relationship. Target Stiffness as described on the wire object help, describes the parameter as how much the guides resist deforming from the animated position. I experienced that increasing this value made the hair more rigid, as it more closely followed the animated groom. I'm not certain if there are differences between the Target Stiffness of the wire object, and the target stiffness in the hair simulate setup.

I also noticed you changed your hair density to 24000. How is this tied to the scale/spatial scale of the scene? In the Houdini wire object help, a density of 600 is recommended for hair.

Any ideas what type of collision geometry would be best suited for the wire solver, with the greatest amount of accuracy/shortest sim time?

Thanks for the help!
Edited by Midasssilver - May 22, 2018 14:46:50
614 posts
check Fabio hair system for Houdini, he put a lot of videos on vimeo as well.
310 posts
Is Fabio just for grooming? I really need some wire object/solver tutorials for hair to work with, as I only need to handle the dynamics, not the groom.
  • Quick Links