Smoke gets cropped

1556   3   1
95 posts
Hi,

I recently did an explosion but the last couple of frames, when only smoke is left, it gets kind of cropped.
Thought it had to do with the gas resize node and changed paading there from 1 to 2; but no change yet. Any other advices?

thanks

Attachments:
cropped smoke 2.jpg (421.4 KB)

385 posts
Hey SiRpRoHxO, the gas resize node can also resize your bounding box when a reference field get values smaller than a given threshold, and that might be causing the crop at the end of the simulation if you're dealing with really small values. Look for the Bounds/Field tab and try lowering the field cutoff value.
Edited by Tanto - May 24, 2018 08:05:57
2531 posts
By default, the resize node only uses the density field to control the box size. You can extend this by typing another field name in the text field. I extend the list by typing temperature and vel, separated by a space character. Temperature often extends outside of density. This will cause the resize box to calculate the bounding area based upon all field listed. Then I set my padding to around 0.4.
Edited by Enivob - May 24, 2018 13:39:05
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
95 posts
thanks for the replies, lowering the cut-off in the resize node did the trick here mostly.

But I noticed, that I'm still messing with densities in 0.005 range, so is there a way to previously set a kind of density range so that small values not even get generated?
Or is that all done in the shader, and ramping them out there?
  • Quick Links