overriding display option (wireframe)

10513   14   3
280 posts
I am almost ashamed to ask this but I cannot seem to find how to override display options in houdini.
Basically I want to display a few object as wireframe in the viewport.
This is , a very common task in any other 3D apps I worked with but I cannot seem to find a way to do it.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm8408875/ [www.imdb.com]
86 posts
There's probably a better way, but I usually just go inside the objects I want to be wireframe, put down a primitive sop, then go to the Face/Hull tab and set Close U to unroll.
280 posts
In light of no other way I will start doing the same…but I may put a request feature for this one after all is so useful for optimizing the scene when you are focusing in one single mesh.
280 posts
To whom it may help apparently I overlooked that you can effectively override display options for specific elements and selection on a scene under the display option marker tab There you can set display options for Scene Geometry, selected Scene geometry, current model geometry, etc. Is not the same but it works for my objective.
59 posts
Nicolas Heluani
To whom it may help apparently I overlooked that you can effectively override display options for specific elements and selection on a scene under the display option marker tab There you can set display options for Scene Geometry, selected Scene geometry, current model geometry, etc. Is not the same but it works for my objective.

Hi Nic,

Where can I find that display option marker tab thing?

Thanks!
280 posts
dansidi
Nicolas Heluani

Hi Nic,

Where can I find that display option marker tab thing?

Thanks!
This was so long ago I think I was refering to the marker tab on the display options of the viewport (pressing d on a viewport) the options there were of help to me.
240 posts
Thank you Tony_A for your answer two years ago.
7727 posts
Add the detail attribute ‘gl_wireframe’ with a detail wrangle:

i@gl_wireframe = 1;
216 posts
jsmack
Add the detail attribute ‘gl_wireframe’ with a detail wrangle:

i@gl_wireframe = 1;
Thank you for the tip !
Please is there a parameter to always display object as textured/shaded ?
7727 posts
You mean to override the display mode for a specific mesh when the pane's display mode is wireframe? That you cannot do because the the wireframe mode draws the geometry differently, there would be no way to render specific elements shaded. Only in a full-draw shaded mode can some elements be forced as wireframes, (or converted geometrically to open lines.)
Edited by jsmack - Dec. 18, 2018 04:31:01
216 posts
Ok, it's too bad but thank you for your response.
385 posts
jsmack
i@gl_wireframe = 1;
Nice!what about other display modes? where can are these attributes listed in the documentation?
Staff
5154 posts
They're documented in model/attributes, under Viewport display attributes. There are four:

- gl_wireframe - force wireframe (1) or shaded (-1)
- gl_lit - draw with lighting (1) or no lighting (0)
- gl_showallpoints - draw points even if connected to geometry
- vm_cuspangle - angle in degrees for generating cusped normals
7727 posts
twod
They're documented in model/attributes, under Viewport display attributes. There are four:

The first tab of the visualize sop can set some or all of these too, for more of a ‘user-friendly’ method.
216 posts
twod

That's fantastic !!!
The ability to set some shaded (and textured !!) mesh while other are wireframe are super méga usefull !

Attachments:
shaded_display_override.jpg (295.6 KB)

• Quick Links