Unable to resolve crashes in Houdini crahes with in 10-30 seconds

4813   9   2
6 posts
Hi,

I am trying to learn Houdini at home on my Asus Rogue gamming laptop using the Apprentice version.
I am wanting to learn a bit before purchasing the Indie version.

However it constantly crashes after start up Ie if I try to go full screen, If I go to out and hit TAB,
just generally anything after a very short amount of time.

I have also had segmentation errors and now it just crashes with out even a error popping up.

I am using NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 M driver version 398.11
16 gig of ram
i7-6700 HQ CPU @ 2.6 GHZ

Cheers
Rob
2528 posts
It is probably just your computer hardware.

It looks like that laptop contains two video cards, the Intel CPU internal (which does not meet Houdini minimum requirements to run) and the nVidia card which does meet Houdini specs to run.

So there may be a conflict between the two cards, or Houdini is detecting the Intel and trying to run on that one instead of the nVidia.

There is an environment variable you can specify in the houdini.env to force Houdini to use a specific GPU. You might have to look that up and try installing that setting. Ask support about that.

Another thing you might try is to boot into the laptop BIOS and see if there is some setting where you can just disable the Intel graphics all together. This may force hardware re-detection once you jump back into your OS, however.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
6 posts
I think its using the graphics card I found this just then before another crash

OpenGL Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL Renderer: GeForce GTX 980M/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 398.11
OpenGL Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA

and then

11460: Fatal error: Segmentation fault
Happen not long after.
6 posts
Thought it was fixed from a re install but nope.

11392: Fatal error: Segmentation fault
Edited by robertJ - June 9, 2018 15:24:08
6 posts
Hey there RobertJ

Looks like I'm facing a very similar thing with somewhat similar hardware. Just recently porting to an Asus ROG with twin GTX970 and 16GB ram in Win10.

I was getting segfault crashes after about 30sec/minute.

I just updated my nVidia drivers and I'm getting the crashes almost instantly now.

Did you ever resolve it at your end?

Cheers

Jeff
6 posts
splintersilk
Hey there RobertJ

Looks like I'm facing a very similar thing with somewhat similar hardware. Just recently porting to an Asus ROG with twin GTX970 and 16GB ram in Win10.

I was getting segfault crashes after about 30sec/minute.

I just updated my nVidia drivers and I'm getting the crashes almost instantly now.

Did you ever resolve it at your end?

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Jeff was never resolved, However side fx gave me a link to download a compatible version, However I am back to square one with upgrading to version 17.

anyone resolve these crashes ?
606 posts
This all sounds too familiar, I'm having all the same problems with a new MSI laptop with a 1060.
For some reason 16.5 QT4 builds do work, even though the 17.0 error logs say the crash happened in opencl. Nahimic is disabled.
Would be nice to run 17 though
Edited by eetu - Dec. 20, 2018 08:34:09
17 posts
Hi, same problems… Houdini 17.0.416-win64-vc141, crashes after 30s/1 min.
No way to resolve it with drivers update and/or reinstalling Houdini.

My sistem:

WIN 10 Home - 1703 15063-413 -
INTEL i7 6820HK 2,70 GHz
64 Gb RAM
nvidia GForce GTX 980

Thanks in advance…

Francesco
17 posts
Hi to all and Happy New Year.
I' ve solved in the way that buki adviced (https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/57399/?page=1#post-256950):

It's necessary to exit the Sonic Studio, which has an icon on the system tray to avoid conflicts.

SOLVED

Thanks a lot.
Edited by Sun2X - Jan. 1, 2019 19:23:35
6 posts
fsantucci
Hi to all and Happy New Year.
I' ve solved in the way that buki adviced (https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/57399/?page=1#post-256950):

It's necessary to exit the Sonic Studio, which has an icon on the system tray to avoid conflicts.

SOLVED

Thanks a lot.

I tested it out last night with closing the Sonic Studio on my Asus Rogue, Amazing all up and running and no crashes, Thank you for passing on this information !!!.
  • Quick Links