Can I Export an Obj or FBX. :) [Solved]

8011   3   1
9 posts
Hi Houdini Friends. I was meaning to test some ideas in substance painter and I just needed a UVed box. I thought I would trying and to UV and export from Houdini. I cannot seem to find a way to export a model from houdini apprentice. Is it a locked feature?
Edited by cglard - June 12, 2018 23:00:41
340 posts
Have you tried right mouse click on the last node in the chain and select “save”?
9 posts
Good night everyone. Nothing more to see here!

That was embarrassing. Thank you very much Island.
340 posts
File exporting from Houdini is not intuitive. Traditionally, these are the four methods (that I am aware of):

1. file>export for fbx and abc
2. right click the terminal node and select “save” and export obj, lwo, etc.
3. add a file cache node to export geometry (but be careful with adding extension to file name and picking a directory that you can find).
4. In “out” area of network, add a geometry ROP node

In other programs, usually this is done as file>export or file>save as. Houdini has its own logic.

Note that different export options do slightly different things. For instance, right clicking the terminal node will obviously not allow you to save all objects in the scene as a single geometry. File>export is great if you want to preserve textures or animations. I wish there were a better help file that explained exactly which method to use, but my knowledge in this area is primarily from trial and error.
Edited by Island - June 13, 2018 12:50:59
  • Quick Links