Viewport Instancing Is Broken In Houdini 16.5.495

1470   3   0
2528 posts
I have a set of points, which are generated by a python script. Each point has the s@instance attribute set to either /obj/geo_BOX or /obj/geo_SPHERE. The points are object merged into an instance node.

When I revise the point set in the python script, only the BOX geometry is correctly revised. For some reason the SPHERE objects remain “stuck” at an old location. If you toggle the Instance node display flag on and off, the spheres finally update to the correct location.

I have tested on a Windows 7 system using a nVdia 660gtx and on an Ubuntu 18.04 using a nVdia 1070gtx. I get the same broken result on each machine.

Can someone test my scene on their system?
I feel like this is a bug but it would be nice to know if anyone else experiences the same issue.
To test, open the HIP file and move the sliders.
Edited by Enivob - June 19, 2018 10:45:27

Attachments:
instance_viewport_is_broken.gif (468.7 KB)
ap_python_cave_maze_061918.hiplc (171.5 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
636 posts
you are a machine what a python code

the problem is that the sphere is a primitive and it looks like the instances doesn't update correctly primitive objects. when you change from primitive to mesh it works like expected.
2528 posts
Yep, SESI reported the same thing. However, when I substitute actual mesh based corridor geometry, I get intermittent drop out of certain pieces. If I try to instance a deforming FBX I often get outright crashes.

It is logged as a bug now, so hopefully, some improvements are on the way.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
2036 posts
you are a machine what a python code

haha…indeed. Will have to put his name in forum advance search option to find all his hips when I want to improve my python in Houdini.

Sorry he's having the problem but thankful at the same time
  • Quick Links