Single license on dual boot machine?

4718   8   0
350 posts
Hi
Could someone clarify. If I have a dual boot machine, say linux and Windows, can I use the same Indie license for a linux and windows version of Houdini on this machine?
I assume this would be ok as long as both copies would not be running at the same time.
459 posts
Hi
I tried this with OSX/Windows and OSX/Linux and none of them worked.
Should be a nobrainer but apparently there is a difference in hostname from os to os.

-b
http://www.racecar.no [www.racecar.no]
4189 posts
You can. The issue is OsX adds a .local to the hostname that Windows refuses to add. So the combos that work are:

OsX / Linux
Linux / Windows
20 posts
aRtye
You can. The issue is OsX adds a .local to the hostname that Windows refuses to add. So the combos that work are:

OsX / Linux
Linux / Windows

I actually got this to work on the combo MacOS Sierra/Windows 10 Pro. I had to do a lot of messing around to make this work so I'm not even sure what was the key step that fixed the problem above described by aRtye. The theory behind it is that .local is not actually part of the hostname but it's rather the domain where the hostname is found. For what I understand, MacOS uses .local by default, Win doesn't.

In the system settings in windows I selected to use a domain (I believe in place of Workgroup)and typed in .local as domain. I'm not sure anymore where exactly I typed this in but eventually windows would start listing a “Full computer name” which adds .local to it (of course the rest of the name has to match the MacOS computer name).

I also changed the server name on the licensing app to the new Full computer name. Basically you can click the “local” button; this will put in the name without .local and then you manually add .local at the end of the name.

Also, still in the licensing app, I had to reinstall the server key (there is an option for that).

Once all this is done you should be able to add your Indie license to Windows.

This worked in the scenario where I had my Indie license already up and running on MacOS and later on I installed this on my secondary Bootcamp partition with Win10. I don't know if this works the other way around.

Hope this helps.
56 posts
Is there way to have dual system on Windows and Linux? I have save License server host, but server code is different and when I'm trying to install license it doesn't work ;/
14 posts
I also wanted to report success with a dual boot Windows / Linux install of Houdini Indie using a single license, confirming mzo's post. Here is what I did.

1. I made sure identifying information was exactly the same on both computers. I verified I was using the same MAC address and made sure my hostname was exactly the same, including capitalization, on both operating systems, using Settings -> System -> Rename this PCon Windows, and sudo hostnamectl set-hostnameon Linux.

2. Next I installed Houdini on Windows and attached a license. I checked the contents of C:\Windows\keys\licenses.

3. I rebooted into Linux and installed Houdini and started the Houdini License Administrator.

4. I selected File -> Manually Install Keys. I dropped in the two lines from C:\Windows\keys\licenses. It rejected the SERVERline but took the LICENSEline.

5. To fix the server license, I went to File -> Install Licenses, and selected Licenses -> Install Server Key. This replaced the SERVERline in the Linux license file.

Houdini Indie seems to launch and run without issues on both operating systems. This may be “unofficially supported” but I would encourage you not to worry. Also, the licenses can be transferred using a web interface a few times per year - even if the dual boot method doesn't work, it is relatively low risk - you don't have to worry about a license being stuck on the wrong OS or anything like that.
2038 posts
This may be “unofficially supported” but I would encourage you not to worry.

It is ‘officially’ supported to run Indie as a dual boot or even on a second computer. It's called a supplementary license.

It's in the product description.

https://www.sidefx.com/products/houdini-indie/ [www.sidefx.com]
19 posts
Hi,
I'm trying to get houdini working on win/linux dualboot.
I made sure hostname is the same but hkey on linux does not want to accept licenses when I'm manually putting them in.
I noticed License server code is different on linux, so that might be the problem. Could someone who got this to work confirm that the license server codes match? Is the code something dependent on mac address?
Thanks!
21 posts
BabaJ
It's called a supplementary license. It's in the product description. https://www.sidefx.com/products/houdini-indie/ [www.sidefx.com]

Has anybody been able to redeem this supplementary license? I got a popup windows telling that a supplementary license will be available when I try to activate my Indie license, but then when I try to activate this supplementary license in the secondary machine the License Administrator doesn't show any available licenses.

I can only switch between machines returning and reactivating again my original Indie license, but I'm afraid there's a limit on this kind of moves.

If anybody knows how to obtain or redeem this supplementary license shipped with the new Indie EULA, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!
  • Quick Links