In FEM, how could I get rid of edginess shapes...?

2543   4   0
407 posts
Hi;

I would like to make something similar to Erik Ferguson in his works like this:

https://vimeo.com/89452037 [vimeo.com]

The problem is , when I use “tetrahedralize SOP”, it`s hard to get rid of this edginess:
Edited by Masoud - Aug. 3, 2018 12:22:06

Attachments:
1.JPG (239.2 KB)

Masoud Saadatmand (MSDVFX)
407 posts
No tips?
182 posts
It looks like it's subdivided and displaced in the shader.
Try Convert Tets SOP -> Tridivide SOP / Subdivide SOP, or render directly as subdivision after the convert.
Staff
429 posts
There are several ways to control and influence the look of your fractured surfaces with FEM.

Using an embedded tet mesh can help. You can manipulate the embedded tet mesh to get a look that you want for your fractured surfaces without impacting the sim very much.

The best option for directly controlling the shape of the fractured surfaces is to use the fracturepart primitive attribute. This allows you to create little chunks (fracture parts) that won't get separated no matter what happens. The fracturing remains dynamic, however it is restricted such that it does not fracture between tets that have the same fracturepart value. The Solid Fracture SOP creates such a fracturepart attribute for you, but you can create the attribute yourself if you like. If you use fracturepart to create fairly round parts then you'll avoid the edgy shapes that you're seeing.

You can take a look at what the Fractured Solid Object shelf tool does with regards to the embedded setup and the creation of a fracturepart attribute.
407 posts
Hi Michiel;

The main problem is: After FEM simulation, embedded high-res geometry will be a shell and isn't solid. So when I use Tetetrahedralize SOP to fill it, the problem arises again (I mean edginess surface)…

Attachments:
1.JPG (160.9 KB)

• Quick Links